Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Panasonic Mobile Softphone review - Huge disappointment 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupiter99

IS-IT--Management
Aug 25, 2020
IT
Introduction

So, I want to use this board to create a sort of S.O.S. location for worldwide Panasonic Mobile Softphone users, as I have dug the Internet, and unfortunately there is almost no content (excluding Japanese web pages that I couldn't evaluate) regarding the infamous Panasonic Mobile Softphone app. Let's hope this thread on Tek_Tips can be the hub for abandoned or disappointed users, as Panasonic is a multi-tier company to such an extent, that it is impossible for end users to get in contact and receive meaningful replies or support from the company itself.

First of all, let me introduce our story.

As a school, we have been looking for an app that could rapidly communicate with the PBX and the central offices, allowing management of emergencies within the campus, including the wide outdoor area, entirely covered by WIFI.

After investigation and discussions with a few vendors, we have been recommended to opt for Panasonic PBX and the Mobile softphone app, however, we have discovered how badly this app will work, only once it was purchased and fully configured in our scenario.

Panasonic Mobile softphone issues

Firstly, 1 out of 3 calls from the hard phones connected to the PBX towards mobile users, will not get through. The recipient's phone will not ring at all

Secondly, phone calls to Panasonic Mobile Softphone users will require a long time before the recipient's phone will ring.

Thirdly, iPhone users require up to 10 seconds to get "online" status.

Last but not least, this app requires permanent Internet connection, therefore even though users might be connected to the corporate LAN WIFI, in case the Internet is suddenly disconnected, users won't be allowed to use the app locally.
The developers at Panasonic did not think about a disaster/emergency situation, where hundreds people might be in a building with WIFI coverage to the PBX during an Internet outage, in turn without being allowed to use the app at all.

The reasons of the failure

- Each time the app requires to be online, it will initiate the authorization process connecting with Panasonic servers. Under ideal conditions, this operation will last many seconds (3/4 seconds on Android phones, 10 seconds on iPhones). Since the Internet connection might be clogged at times, the app can easily fail to authenticate and gain the online status.

- When activating "push notifications", if on one hand it will save phone battery from drain, on the other hand, the process required to make a phone ring (as for the push mechanism that must wake up the app, plus the authentication process), will easily last 15 seconds. This is simply UNACCEPTABLE

It would have been much better if Panasonic engineers would have thought about all this before developing the authentication architecture. For instance, downloading the keys to the PBX, so that WIFI users would be online immediately, or maybe opting for a once-a-day automatic authentication (timer)

Minor glitches

- The app does not support PBX address book as the physical phones do

- There's no option to hardcode in the PBX a predefined list of most used/most important extensions, so that all users might receive this automatically on the mobile softphone app.

Conclusions

Users are so frustrated that they're gradually switching back to Whatsapp, while Panasonic is earning a bad reputation.

Please if you're reading this, write your experience following this post. Who knows, some manager at Panasonic might read all this and decide to make a change

Yes, this application is disappointing in many ways but hopefully Panasonic will continue to improve it and not discontinue like so many other products in the past.

We have experienced the "No Incoming Ring" Problem. Also it is a poor authorization process if the app does indeed authorize every time the app is used. This should be a once a month procedure.

Having the key on the PBX for the number of mobile soft-phones that can be used at one time like other IP phones would be the best.

Going through the same painful evaluation in our shop, thankfully prior to selling the solution to a customer. Android devices work to some degree, but the iPhones are absolutely useless. We're in the process of logging a trouble ticket with Panasonic Support and hopefully can push for some action. Definitely don't want to hang our reputation on the performance of this product as it is now!

Hello Koalaman, thank you for throwing in your experience. As a sidenote we're now asking Panasonic to take an action on this, but it looks like they're trying to avoid our allegations.
I am sure they're aware about the defects and limits of this architecture, but can't admit, who knows how many people would ask for a refund? We should all protest and ask Panasonic for a change, the more the merrier.

Did you try enabling push notifications on the app? It will require longer responses from mobile phones, but it seems getting through more often than when push notifications is disabled.

Fantastic, installing an NS700 tomorrow with 3 mobile softphones for the first time!

Calum M
ACSS

Unless you have paid for licenses as we did, there shouldn't be regrets.
In our case it was a bad advice from the vendor... they shouldn't convince us to make the move to such an unreliable platform, considering we were looking for a PBX app that would be fast & consistent.

So in the first place, Panasonic vendors should stay away from this app, but at the same time ,Panasonic shouldn't sell such a bulky app. There are no excuses, other apps based on push notifications will work flawlessly (Whatsapp) without missing a single "ring", although Android has moved to Firebase and Apple to APNs

Let us know how it goes with your NS700!Maybe in your country Panasonic support might help solving the issues?

Yeah....it works but it kind of sucks.

Calum M
ACSS

It it the most basic softphone I have ever used, I am used to deploying Avaya One-X and the Workplaces IX which are so much superior,the register time can be up to around 10-13 seconds when opening the app.
I wish it supported an FQDN, I feel the amount of information I need to input to get a user registered is ridiiclous especially with less techy users

Calum M
ACSS

Firmware v8 allows this so you can use a FQDN as we did (handy once our ISP changed our public IP without a notice). V8 also allows sending configuration QR Codes by email to each user, so that these can be imported in the user phone to quickly input settings.

What it looks to me as a disaster is the architecture behind all this:
Untitled_oattvw.png

as it creates delays when opening the app, when push notifications are missed (let's say 30%). Also the lack of a centralized address book for softphone user is a big minus.

It looks to me that Japanese are top at designing and crafting hardware & electronics, but at software development, rookies

BTW Will you be using those softphones in a production environment? If so I would like to know what is your missed-rings rate and what phones are you using

I've installed 2 on to a NS700, the main issue I'm having is that these 2 users are in a hunt group, once soneone rings in and a desk phone answers, the apps continue ringing, so when they answer it no ones on the line.

Frustrating

We've got 60 licenses :-(
Should we go for a class action?

Have you guys had any response on this issue as we have a client that wants 50 of these for all users? Are we better off using SIP softphones Zopier perhaps and can anyone speak to how well SIP phones work on the NS700?

Not yet mate, we're pushing as much as possible our complains to Panasonic, but I guess that without an architecture change, we won't see any change.
A quick and dirty solution would be to limit the authentication process to once a week. This would help a lot. Then they should seriously investigate why the app fails randomly the push notification wake up.
Panasonic states that it can happen if there are too many attempts by the app to the Google/Apple push server, but this sounds to me as bulls**t as many other apps (whatsapp, to name one) don't miss one single hit.
You should test Zoiper and see ho it goes, at least you can directly speak with the developers, something that we completely miss with Panasonic. Their customer support model is completely wrong.
But Zoiper will require and additional license to your setup, for third party SIP apps.

Do not sell 50 of these.
I am currently back onsite to the one we installed 5 at putting the IP Softphone on their PC's because they hate it so bad

Calum M
ACSS

Is there any update from Panasonic on this? I need to make decision on mobile or SIP softphones for the client. looks like most soft-phones now (Bria) require a monthly subscription which client does not want.

Does anyone know who made the Panasonic mobile soft-phone app as I am sure they did not develop it themselves?

I suspect they have developed the app. What are you looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back