Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Panasonic KXTD816 problem with Caller ID and/or ROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dajohnso

ISP
Aug 8, 2003
US
I have a TKXTD-816 with caller ID which worked fine for some time. I called the phone ccompany and had caller ID feature removed and some time later called and had caller ID added again to my phone line. Now the caller ID doesnt display correctly on my sets (frequently show the previous call, not the current call or only shows 1/2 of the displayed name). I dont have any numbers/names entered into the directory. I call panisonic and asked for a new ROM several times (even paid to have it shipped to me) and each time then sent ROM chips for the wrong system. I am running PO51I50130A. Was told there was a newer version but every time they send it to me the part number comes up for a diffent PBX (on their site). If I put them in my system wont even boot up. (I was hoping a new ROM would support what I suspected was a new caller ID format?) Anyone else ever hear of the caller ID messingup? I have reset/cleared my system and completely re-entered all of my settings with the same results. Otherwise the system works flawlessly.

Caller ID information is read from the first ring. That's why you normally shouldn't hear the first ring. I would say that if you heard part or all of the first ring, it is a timer issue, but in looking through the programming, I cannot find a timer that can be changed. If part of the CID information is being lost or it's from the last call, there could also be something wrong with the CID RAM that stores the number. Look in the CID log and see if it is getting stored that way, or if it's just an issue with the initial LCD display. Also grab a CID-enabled phone and plug it directly into the CO to see if the same problem exists. I would say that you may need to replace the CID board inside the PBX.

Thanks for the response. I'm working on getting a CID device to plug into the CO, I had 3 and threw them out when the PBX was installed. According to what I remember when I worked at AT&T, the CID information and all other telco communications must take place within the 1/2 second the line is live BEFORE the ring. This is why there is a regulation that no device connected to the phone line can interfere with the manditory silence the first 1/2 second of the connection. If you put an LED and a resistor accross your tip and ring on a line you will see the LED blink almost a second before the phone rings. I did this in college as a crude line use indicator and noticed the light blinked just before a call. Also works well if you turn the ringer off as the LED would blink instead of ring. But back to my problem. I'll try a CID device on the CO and check the logs. I plugged my laptop into the SMDR for a while but never noticed if the logged calls also had partial or wrong information.

I tried a CID and the caller ID info comes in correctly when on the CO line. The PBX normally displays the wrong info (usually 1/2 the data form the previous call). I have tried 3 times to get the latest firmware for this switch and panasonic sent me the wrong one each time. They insisted it was the correct one for my system and I think after trying one of them is when the Caller ID issue started? I have misc. issue where a call on hold cant be picked up on another extension, etc.. so I was hoping to try the latest firmware (should I be able to get one). I have PO51I50130A installed now. I have paid for the firmware 3 times now and got the wrong one so I give up. I have a prom burner should anyone have an extra set I could copy.

hook up a caller id box on the line and make sure it is
not a co problem! caller id info comes between first and second ring!

Thats what I just said. I connected a CID (Caller ID) box tothe CO and all is well there.

I would agree with mrpeabody it sounds like the CID card is bad try to get a spare and swap it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back