Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PalmOS Development Tools , Decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Blessing

Programmer
Feb 25, 2000
US
I have been looking around for certain tools to development, one that I can currently testing the demo of is AppForge ( a VB Addin that allows you to use VB to create Palm Applications )

Appforge cost about 695$ (and seems limited at that)

Another one is MobileBuilder 2.0 from penright.com

This one seems much more promising, except the pricetag nearly choked me (since I assume its high priced because not only does it do PalmOS but much more)

but one I am considering is CodeWarrior 7.0 for PalmOS
lets you develope Palm appz from Windows 9x/NT/2000 and MacOS.

Unfortunatly I cant apply for the academic lisense (only 119$) otherwise I would have it now. Palm Computing seems to endorse this one the most, and I am wondering if it's worth it to get the standard lisense (369$)

Any Opinions, sugestions?

The idea of using Appforge in VB is nice, but it seems limited, codewarrior might be my choice (I do know C++ as well as other Visual Studio Platforms, so getting used to one or the other is not a problem, just the price for what you get is my concern)
Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

I had Appforge DEMO but I too had problem with it.
I could have gotton it for $299.00 developer Pre-release but since I didn't have any luck with it I decided against it.
The Palm VII is my PDA of choice. I have an App loaded on it called DPWEB which lets one surf NON-graphic WEB pages wihtout frames.
So the idea is to forget developing an app in the Palm itself but instead developing a WEB app which can be opened from the Palm or any thing that surfs a WEB site, PC's PDA, etc. you name it. Its a whole new way of thinking.

Here is a DEMO on my site if you would like to see it.

PS this WEB link is not together, copy both lines and paste it in your browser as one.

PS the is a grainy picture of My Palm VII on that site too.

Anyway don't know if that helps at all.

DougP, MCP

Visit my WEB site to see how Bar-codes can help you be more productive

problem is , I dont want to develop for web, I Want to develop actual Palm applications (especially since not everyone has a wireless internet version) Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

Hi,

try
You can get a free trial. It covers a GNU C-compiler, emulator, PalmOS SDK, forms editing, debugging without Palm connected...

I think, not only because of the reasonable price around $230 this will be my personal choice.

Siegfried.

I've been using Codewarrior since Release 5 (3 years) and I absolutely love it. I know it is expensive but I think it is worth it, I think you can download a R7 demo in , try it and you will love it too, there is a lot of reference material, a course in (free) and every book about Palm Programming recomends Codewarrior.
I one used Satelite Forms and I really didn't like it, I know about PocketC (not very pro), Appforge (easy, because you programm in VB but the apps are slower and that is a huge con in Palm apps).
I suggest that if you can't buy Codewarrior, use the free GNU compiler you can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back