Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Palm Tungsten T

Status
Not open for further replies.

slirper

Technical User
Nov 28, 2000
GB
I keep getting the following error:

Error: 4 Loading CategoryLinks

This only happens when I synchronize and do not have either Power Users Or Admin rights. When I do have the rights, it is all fine. I want to give the user basic rights for obvious reasons. I am using Win 2K.

Any ideas out there?

Try this:

1. Give the user Admin rights
2. Re-install the software
3. After the software is installed, take away admin rights

AlphaGuy

Thats how I did it originally and it still does the same thing.

Cheers for the idea though

slirper-
Have you found a way to solve this? I started having this problem yesterday and thought I solved it using the administrative rights given/taken....but now it is starting again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ok I found what the problem is. I have a Treo 600 using palmOne's desktop. I gave modify permission to authenticated users on the C:\Program Files\palmOne folder. You could probably change just the user's folder inside that to allow modify if that is too loose. There appears to be folders inside the user's folder, such as address, datebook, etc. that the sync manager needs to modify.
I did have all kinds of problems prior to receiving this, and giving this user temporary admin rights is the only way. Apparently we are the only people that see a security issue with this?

Bill Zielinski
County of Midland, Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back