Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Palm Sync problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pl2959

MIS
Sep 9, 2003
US
I installed Palm desktop V4.1 and I could not sync my palm with PC. I got error message on my Palm about connection problem. Someone told me to install USB driver but I did not get any hardware install pop up in windows. Please help me to solve. thanks.

Hi,
Was this an upgrade install and did the palm work before?
JP

No, it is not an upgrade install. I installed a new Palm software in a new computer, but the Palm was sync with another computer before. Thanks

What type of Palm are you using? Do you have a USB connection or a serial connection to the CPU?

I am using Palm 515 and I use USB to connect my XP Home PC. thanks.

What I have surmised is that you have already installed the software and have tried to Hotsync with the computer. You first want to make sure that the Hotsync manager is in the systray before you try to Hotsync. Sometimes it does not want to come up with the boot up.

Try booting up with the USB connected to the CPU to see if it detects any new hardward.

If all else fails, do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the software. What happens sometimes, if you reinstall and reinstall, the computer and the software become "confused" and a complete uninstall and reinstall does help. Let me know if this helps at all. The USB drivers will be on the disk that you got with the unit....you should not have to reinstall. XP has been out for long enought that OS4.1 should be able to handle it. If worse comes to worse, find someone you know what just bought a new unit and OS5.0 came with it. The nice thing about Palm software now, is that USB drivers come on the CD since alot of the units come with USB cables. When I worked there.....USB cables and units were just coming to be. They were all serial cable unless you puchased one after the fact, downloaded the new drivers and went on your merry way....and at that time, USB was not even teched.

If you run into any problems, let me know.

JH

Correction to that.....

I ment the desktop software....not the OS.

Just finished reading up on the new OS and it was in my head. You want to uninstall and reinstall the software on the PC......

Let me know if you have any problems after THAT.

Sorry about the confusion.....to early in the AM to think...no coffee yet!
JH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back