Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Palm on a LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoon

Programmer
Dec 12, 2000
US
What I'm basically looking for is a wireless TCP/IP connection for a Palm device (or other handheld). Something that would allow me to connect to a wireless hub on a LAN, not to a internet service provider. Kind of a stretch, but this is an unusual application. :) Does anyone have a recommendation as to where I can look?

you can probally try to find wireless NIC/Ethernet cards if possible. What you basiclly want to try to find is a Ethernet card, depending on the wireless network (such as Apple's Air, or Someother company) , you can find someone who makes a card for it, though I dont recall ever seeing one, I have seen plenty of palm ethernet adapters, but you had to plug a wire into them. Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

Symbol Technologies makes Palm and PocketPC OS devices that include 2MB wireless connectivity to wireless access points that then bridge into your ethernet. I've been using some of their other RF equipment for a while, and your started testing a Palm OS SPT 1700. I can telnet into my RS6000, run Oracle from the command line, get to my intranet web pages... Cool so far. Check out

I believe Palm has some new devices of their own coming out later in the year that will incorporate 802.11 and possibly Bluetooth options...
Heath Racine
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back