Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

paleeeez help me 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugrbratt

MIS
Sep 7, 2001
US
i know this is gonna be the dummest question you've ever had but i'm getting so frustrated i have no choice but to ask :} ok i got my computer with win98 installed and my roomate had winME so i reformatted and installed that but never got a copy of the disk and now i've been having massive problems with ME and i wanna go back to 98 till XP comes out but the problem i'm having is that i can't reformat cuz i can only use the dos promp that's in windows and when i reboot using my system disk it says "insuficient space" and then gives me a dos prompt but every command i give it besides C: is a "BAD COMMAND" and the win98 disk won't do anything cuz it's an older version. please help me...

Have you tried the fdisk from the Win98 DOS prompt? Have you tried booting from the Win 98 CD?

ya, i did try booting from the win98 disk but it goes thru the whole scan disk thing and then goes to the setup screen then it tells me i already have an os installed which cannot be upgraded by win98 so i can't even get to the win98 dos prompt, i tried using the winME dos prompt but it won't let me fomat c: from there, it says "drive c: is currently in use by another process" and aborts format. i can do fdisk from the winME dos prompt but what then?

Try booting to the Win98 CD again, but don't go through with the setup yet. Instead, goto the Win98 Dir and type format C:. Reboot to the cd again and then run setup.

thank u soooo much chadly for relieving my headache, it took me a minute to find the win98 dir without running setup but i did it =9 and now my computer is back to normal :::sigh of relief::: thanx again!

In the future, the reason you were getting bad command messages for everything you typed is because if you were booting to the prompt, the path wouldn't be set.
after booting to the prompt, you need to type "path c:\windows\command" and then all your old dos commands will work

I installed norton system works 2000 and every thing worked find. The next time I booted up I got an error message saying can not write to c: drive. I uninstalled system works but I still get the same message. If I keep pressing any key to continue the pc will load to windows 98. As soon as I try to add to the c drive the message comes up again. Can you help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back