Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

painter classic says low memory when i have 1gb ddr ram 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacoste

Technical User
Apr 27, 2003
US
i have a strange case which is really puzzling me and i cant understand how to solve it
after installing some new ram in my pc (1 gb ddr)
painter classic and poser now refuse to work saying that there isnt sufficiant memory to run ,
is this a xp problem or is it something more simple
any help would be really helpfull
thank you in advance

Painter WILL NOT recognize more than 512 mb of ram.

This is a problem that I am having, too. My machine had a 128 RAM and we added a 512. Now I am hitting a RAM wall, probably after the 128 capacity is full. Is there any way to circumvent this? I have work to do and this is beginning to get me really ticked off!

Just upgraded hardware with evidently too much ram. Has anyone found a solution other than painter 9 or removing ram?

I had the same problem and wrote a "fix" for it.
I posted it on my website (with not a lot of content for now)

go to to read about how I was able to fix it without having to remove memory or change the pagefile settings

Thanks much for the fix as I have missed having Painter on my new system! I would prefer to install Painter 5 rather than go back to Classic, so does anyone know if gdepeute's fix for Classic would work 'as is' for Painter 5? I do not know enough about Windows to check this out for myself.

The fix I posted will work for Painter 5, if
1) Painter 5 has the same "not enough memory" problem (don't have it so I can't verify)
2) Painter 5 has the same executable name (PClassic.exe) -- if not, you can always try to rename the Painter 5 executable to PClassic.exe and cross your fingers when you run NewPClassic.exe (it will work if Painter 5 has the same problem)

If the above doesn't work, you could always check if the "binary patch" helps (patching ASI32_12.dll in the painter install directory ... that is, if such file exists)
I added some info about that on at the bottom of the page about the fix.

Let us know if it works for Painter 5 too, I'm interested to find out.

Cheers,
-- Geert

thanks for this patch it works fine and is really usefull
i currently have rsi so i cant really try out the program
which is a bummer
thanks again

Just for my information ... could you tell me the following:
1) what the filename (the .exe) file is for Painter 5 (I suppose it is on PClassic.exe). That way I can update the information for others to come.
2) If you tested the binary patch or the executable patch (the zip file)

Thanks for letting me know

I dug out the Painter 5 CD and just now installed it. It does give the "not enough memory to run" message, and the name of the executable is Painter5.exe. It will be a few days before I have time to try the fix(es), but after I do I will post what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back