Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paint shop pro mask layers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgiafoss

Technical User
Nov 1, 2007
US
I want to make something transparent, then cut it away...merge several layer...I am unsure how to save my work to it will become transparent in some areas and not in others.........i know to make the mask layer and how to save it but not sure when or if i then save to alpha channel..........help!

There are only certain image formats that support transparency.

If you save your image as a PSP image it will retain all layers and transparency as is. Of course this prevents you from actually using it in anything other than PSP.

You can however use the export feature, to preserve the transparency of your image. PSP will allow you to export into either Gif, Jpeg or PNG. Jpeg does not support transparencies so you are limited to either Gif or PNG. Gif is limited to only 256 colors. So your best bet to preserve transparency, and still look nice, is PNG. PNG will display in almost any place you wanted to display and is web supported by many browsers.

to use the export feature, go to them File menu, and depending on your version of PS will either say Import/Export, or just Export. then choose the PNG optimizer option.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back