Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

paid for nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj63069

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2003
US
Here's a contrast to my earlier thread about being in over my head. This is a remarkable example but also very alarming for me.
6 months ago I was recruited and hired by a large company to work in a Corporate Department that felt they were getting ZERO help or acknowledgement from the IS Dept. I was told that my job would be "Special Project, creating MS Office enhancements, desktop help, Excel applications and envolved with a new business system implimentation representing the Dept.
So far I have done Nothing but pick up a paycheck. It's a great Company and Great People but everyday I ask my supervisor if he has anything for me and everyday the answer is "not yet". I was also told not to volunteer for anything because one day I would be overloaded. I sit here each day and play around with a few databases and spreadsheets.
I passed up a pretty good opportunity to take this position and that op is gone now. I live in fear that someone is playing a cruel joke on me and that I will be getting terminated any moment. Is this strange?
What to do?????

I would ask what the request was that they felt they were getting ZERO help from the IS Dept. regarding the issue b4 you got hired. Ask what they wanted and didn't receive from IS. Maybe that is what you could concentrate on and accomplish that would make you shine while you are there. Create something that will help them out and get "involved".
Are you attending any meetings to find out the direction of the dept.'s goals? That would help you be creative and giving THEM ideas instead of asking for ideas/work. ? no? I don't see how you would think getting this job that this is a cruel joke. Why would they hire you to fire you? Does'nt make sense.

CP [cook]

They are a "no meeting" company.
Zero was a general feeling that they could get better response from the IS dept and they do not provide any process docs. The EDI person is uncooperative etc..
I have created several things that I thought they would need and they are using all of them but it doesn't take long to create a little tracking program in Access. The new software implimentation is 3 years old and in limbo. Had enough involvement with it to be able to help if they ever get started. Even though they said I would have a free hand in creating enhancements to the processes. The first time I requested anything from IS the normal flags went up. Why and what are you doing and we want to approve everything before ytou use it!!! Catch 22. I also asked for TRAINING because I am new to this industry. No training processes here. I read everything I could get my hands on and observed what I could.
I think they made a mistake when they hired me. I don't see the problem with IS. It's not because of performance because my ability is far above the Dept needs. They really needed the help in IS due to overload and under staffed!!!!!
I give them Ideas everyday and the same reply. Mondays bad Tuesdays worse wednesday nah etc.. My supervisor tells me once a week "we need to sit and discuss some plans, don't we"? It's just a little frustrating. People in the office are asking "what does that guy do"?

I would probably take the guy up on "discussing plans" and then document a "priority list" of goals they want to accomplish somehow. Maybe it that kind of company where you gotta buy the guy lunch or something to get anything out of him. It sounds like you are being left in the dark. What is going on if there are no "status meetings" Status meetings are great because they define and validate everyone's position and what they are to accomplish. I don't know what to tell ya, it sounds like you are frustrated, and I guess I would look for another job at this point. Good luk!

CP [cook]

Thanks CP
ya know I've only had 3 jobs in 30 years but this is the strangest one I've ever had.
I wanna help these guy's but they just don't know how to utilize me. I guess the suggestions don't help!

You're probably right. Start looking but only because I want to be productive.

My 2 cents to your wierd problem. I wish I had your problem right about now.

Is the guy that hired you the same as your supervisor or 2 differnt people?

I would have coffee with the guy that hired you (if he's not your super) & show him this post & say you're not happy. Is there anything special you could do for them while watching the plants grow in your office? Maybe if you wow them with something big, they will use you more.

Depending on you situation, you may want to do this only after finding out about other jobs.

Good luck
BR

The guy that hired me is a recruiter. The guy that I report directly to did interview me. I don't think they know how to use me. The recruiter is in a building on the other side of town. I'm caught in a situation where the "Old employees" are in a routine that they would like to change but don't really see the need to! The few things I have done have impressed them enough to be content with having me sit there until the next need pops up. How strange is this? I would really like to get this resolved. I wish I hadn't turned down the other offer now. GOTTA WORK!!!!

Hello,
They sound like a strange bunch.

My method worked for me on several occasions at my previuos employment. I found problems with something outside my responsiblities, then went in & fixed them.

Then they promoted me to that position that they did not even realize at the time that they needed. I was lucky in that I setup 3 departments (of one person)that way.

Sounds like you need to do this OR get out for your sanity.

Bruce
PS this sounds like a normal government job!!

Not Government. The company is great to work for and very generous. I have been told not to volunteer for anything!!!
I was excited enough about this job to pass up another opportunity that would have been just the opposite. Very busy and lot's of travel!
I have a sign on my desk "Will work for food". I'll give it a couple more weeks and then I think I'll talk to the recruiter about any other jobs within the company.

I may have misunderstood this thread completely, but as I understand it the problems are:
1. The department has a very poor relationship with the IS department.
2. You are frutratingly underworked with no real idea of what they want you to do.
3. You are working at a level far below your experience and competence.

My suggestion is that you resolve number 1 by creating a dialogue with the IS department. Set up a process between the department and the techos so you are in the middle to explain business requirements and priorities to the IT people and explain IT processes and progress to the business people. Let everyone understand the business benefits and returns from new work and enhancements against the development and implementation costs. After all IS is only there to serve the business no matter what we might think about are technical skills. Similarly, the business has a responsibility to invest wisely in IT for the long term viability of the organisation.

For number 2, if you are not able to sit down and meet with your management and decision makers, seize the initiative. Put together a document of what you have observed and what you believe you can do to improve things. Email it to all the key players as a discussion document and request that they respond in a set time period. You can always copy it to the person who initially recruited you as well. If that doesn't get the ball moving then just start the steps you outlined in your document and send out weekly status reports to the key players.

On point 3, (and I may have picked this one up completely wrongly) just be grateful that you have a job. There are very many senior IT people out of work or working well under their skill and experience level. IT is becoming a very ageist and cost conscious industry that no longer values experience and company loyalty as much as the latest technical skill set at the cheapest price. There is a whole complex arguement I don't want to enter into here other than to recognise how hard jobs are to get these days and especially for people over 40.

Hope this helps.

Clive

I think they had a clue when they thought they needed me but since then they got a little confused! I started asking some questions. 1. Who made the decision they needed me up front. 2. How did he sell it? 3. where the heck is he when I need him :)
I'm gonna start confronting each person via chain of command. I don't wanna create an unconfortable situation for anyone (including me). Then I'm gonna see if there isn't some other opportunity within the company. I'm thinkin IS may need some help more than the dept. I currently in.

My suggestion is

GET OUT!!!

GET OUT NOW!!!

I went through this for a year and a half at my first job in the industry. They hired me in with the promise of learning new technologies and working on large projects, but gave me no work. I sat there for a week before I spoke up and asked for something to do and no one had a clue what to give me. I tried all of the above suggestions and nothing worked. I created many applications to try and help the company and they were all well received. Heck, I even got employee of the month once while there, but still no assignments. I finally got fed up with the "Make Work" days and left for another company. My only regret is that I didn't leave sooner.

Just my 2 cents

BAKEMAN [pimp]

I would find another job but not tell them. And maybe through some glitch in the system you can keep receiving a paycheck from them after you are gone(Office Space cliche).

But seriously, if you persue it internally you will end up with "busy work" and doing nothing can be better than that.
Hang out and try to enjoy it with long lunch breaks, because those 60 hour work weeks will be coming back around when it catches up with you either at this company or the next. Since it doesnt appear that you like the way this company is structured then start sending out the resumes...

I'm in the same situation now. I was brought from the corporate headquarters out a smaller plant (200 people) to make them in intranet site and do a PC software/hardware audit. Well, those were done with in the month and they have nothing much to give me. They keep telling me they have to get with me for work and they feel bad not giving me anything, but it's getting annoying. Trust me Bospruell, having something to do is better than nothing. Although I agree, I don't want to keep asking for work and end up doing clerical work all day. I've been putting out resume's for the past few weeks and hopefully have a lead on something else. Stick in there tj63069, I know what you're going through and it sucks :-(

Darrell Mozingo

sounds like a set up or they're writing you off. in either case, you're not in the "know". best case is that you develop a new skill set while you're there (as in "there looking for another job"). be sure to documents all assignments, and conversations about work; try to do it first thing in the morning, then spend the rest of the day on you and your exit strategy. btw - enjoy the easy pay (hard to come by nowadays)

Sounds like a great job.

Look at it this way, you're being paid to train yourself.

I was in a similar situation here. My boss kept saying the same thing: "Just wait, you'll have plenty of work."

Three months passed, and his words proved true.

I'd relax, make the best of your time, and don't talk to much about all the time you have to do nothing.

-----
The death of dogma is the birth of reason.

Of course we all prefer an honest wage for an honest day's work, but given the circumstances of today, it's far better to be paid to do nothing, then not be paid with nothing to do.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Actually, that happened to me at another site, too.

I think when a company is willing to pay somebody to do nothing, it's worth it to them somehow, because they want that person who does "nothing" to be able to do "something" at the drop of a hat, and do it well.

One of the prime qualities for a person in that kind of position is dependability.

-----
The death of dogma is the birth of reason.

I would use the time there to acquire new skills. Because sooner or later, someone will notice that you aren't contributing to the bottom line and ask you to step into their office "for a moment". So be prepared when that happens by learning stuff that will help your resume/CV.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

You all are dead on with the suggestions and it's great to hear that I'm not the only one in a situation like this. I'm using every spare minute to learn! developing a knowledge base applicable to this business and this company. I can at least get my hands on the software that I'll be working with. Not much to work with in the model company but enough to self teach.
Thank you all for the boost!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back