Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paging

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurmann

Programmer
Sep 12, 2003
US
Customer has an Old Meridian 8 x 24 DR2

Their paging works great and they have 12 loudspeakers hooked up throughout their buildings, but they want to be able to talk over all of the loudspeakers using a Microphone.. Is this possible, any suggestions? They are running some classic car auctions in their buildings and the owner doesen't want to use a phone to talk over all of the loudspeakers as he thinks it would look funny..

Anybody know of a way to hook up a Microphone to all of the paging loudspeakers that I have in place hooked into their 8 x 24 system..

Thanks in advance

If there are 12 loudspeakers hooked up to the N* there must be an amplifier somewhere. Check and see if there is a microphone inpute on the amplifier.

THis might be too much info, but here goes... I recently upgraded a multiple lane car auction and they are extremely happy with the configuration I installed. I used a small mixer/amplifier combo unit (peavy, shure, et cetera ... somewhere around 200W). You can then use the mixer to attenuate the frequencies that are feeding back and provide dedicated speakers at the auction block (pick a loudspeaker with strong horns for voice only enviornments).

If the customer does not have the budget to invest in a proper configuration, you can find the amplifier; connect mic wire to the auction block location; use an XLR wall plate for a professional microphone. Some microphones require phantom power, the paging amp will likely not provide that. If the customer chooses one of these microphones you can get a phantom power adapter from an area music store (usually requires XLR in and out). Remember that this config has no way to eliminate feedback without purchasing additional equipment.

Something else to think about; OSHA has a maximum DB level for this type of enviornment, auctions are loud and employee lawsuits will happen. You need to sell them a DB meter so they can protect themselves by setting up a pre auction procedure of sound level checks.

-Terry

Terry, thanks for all the info.. Looks like I got myself in over my head- Anything not directly related to a phone system is a foreign language to me..

Anybody in Georgia want this customer? I'll have to pass them off to someone else.. Their setup will be that their auctioneer will have their own PA system, but at the same time The owner wants one of his guys talking over all of his speakers througout the premises calmly telling about the cars..

The customer currently has 3 speakers and had hired me to provide 9 more with wire runs.. If someone else wants to overtake this let me know.. Their first auction starts May 18th so not much time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back