Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paging From DECT R4 Handsets - No Audio 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nortel4Ever

Vendor
Nov 1, 2011
CA
I've got an unusual situation here:
IP0 11.1.2.1 with approximately 70 J-series IP phones of various models and a few 9504s due to lack of data cabling.
IPO LAN 1 is 10.203.130.x used for management, connection to the VM Pro and 2 ALGO SIP Alerters that are on the same subnet as the LAN 1
IPO LAN 2 is connected to a VLAN port on the network and supplies DHCP for all of the IP Phones (using default 192.168.43.x addressing)
DECT base stations (4 of them) are on the 10.203.131.x subnet

Calls between IP and digital phones phones to/from DECT handsets - no problem
Paging from IP phones and digital phones to a page group that includes other IP and digital phones and the 2 SIP Alerters - no problem
Paging from DECT handsets (short code using feature Dial Paging to the above group) - no audio is heard

I can't figure out why calls to/from the DECT handsets to/from digital and IP Phones work fine, but paging does not. Does the paging feature use some sort of network broadcast that may be blocked by the IPO and DECT base stations being on different subnets?

Any insights would be appreciated. Note - putting the DECT base stations on a different subnet was done by a third party IT firm contracted to the customer. I had nothing to do with it.

Allow Direct Media is off, Initially it was on but I was getting no audio from the DECT handsets to IP phones until I turned it off.
Thanks for your response though.

The base stations have now been moved to the same .130 subnet as the IPO and SIP paging devices but the problem remains.
The phones being paged from a DECT handset respond with the announcement beep but no audio comes through unless you press the Answer soft key.
Next step is to disconnect the IPO from the network and connect it to a small unmanaged switch that's not on the network, and also connect one of the base stations, SIP alerter, and IP phones, then try paging from a DECT handset. This will prove if the issue is in the network (not likely) or with the IPO (very likely), but it will prevent Avaya support from blaming the network when I open a ticket.

Completed the above tests and yes, it is a IPO/DECT issue - Opening a support ticket, will keep you all informed.

After almost 3 months I finally got to the end of this with much frustration and a lot of useless suggestions from Avaya Support. The quick answer is that the Base Station 3 11p5p10 firmware packaged with 11.2 software caused the issue, when I downgraded the firmware to 11p2p10 that comes packaged with 11.1 the paging from the DECT 3730 handsets started working. The solution is simple however getting to this point took a long time and many man hours of labor with of course Avaya will not reimburse us for.

After opening a support ticket Avaya's first response was that J139s did not support auto answer and that is why the paging wasn't working and their solution was to upgrade all 70 plus phones on site to J179s. I immediately called bullshit because not only is paging not coming through on J139s it's also not coming through on a the J159s, J179s, 9508s, and Algo SIP Alerter that are all in the page group. Also, when a page is started from any phone other than a 3730 DECT phone, to the same page group, the page comes through all phones just fine.

Avaya support then wanted Wireshark, Monitor and System Status traces which we supplied. Their solution now was to upgrade the IPO from 11.2.2.2 to 11.2.2.3 and upgrade the 3730 handset firmware that came packaged with 11.2.2.3. They would now close the ticket and we were to open a new ticket if the problem still existed. Well low and behold that didn't fix the problem either (I kind of suspected it wouldn't).
Opened a new ticked and provided another set of Wireshark, Monitor and System Status traces. We were now told that this was a "known issue" since 11.2 and we should try downgrading the IPO to 11.1.1.1 and downgrade both the base station and 3730 firmware that comes with 11.1.1.1. If this is a known issue why is there no searchable solution on their website???

I opted to leave the IPO at 11.2.2.3 and just downgrade the firmware in the base stations and handsets. Well winner winner chicken dinner. Paging from the 3730 DECT handsets is now working.
If Avaya Support could have only told us to do this 3 months ago since as they say it's a "known issue"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back