Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paging file size recommendation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthijsTH

Technical User
Sep 13, 2007
NL
Hello,

I know it's a rookie question, but what is the best config for the paging file?

I have a Windows server 2003 with 4GB memory.

I set the initial file size at 1.5 times.
So 4096x1.5 = 6144MB

But what is the best setting for the maximum size?
If there is any.......
I set it at 8192MB.

Did I do ok?

Thanks

It very much depends on what the server is doing and how much RAM & Swap you expect it to use.

What will this box be doing and for how many users?

Mike

Remember - There is always another way..........I just haven't found out what it is yet!

[yinyang]

As Mike indicated, it all depends what the server does. I had an SQL server with 16GB of RAM and set a small pagefile and kept running out of resources. Win2003 has a great option of allowing the system to set the size of the pagefile. I would create a small 50MB pagefile on C: and pick another partition with ample space and have the system generate it.

Hi again,

It's for a servers in general.

So:
- terminal servers
- sql servers
- file servers
- domain controllers
- application servers

Just wanted to know if there was a "general" setting for this.

Thanks for your replies......

Matt, usually when creating a pagefile a recommended amount is indicated to you. Use what is recommended as your total pagefile size. If more is required, then I would recommend allowing the system to create it for you.

Matt - To follow on from itsp's comments my personal observations are:

that you do not want your Terminal Server to swap under any circumstances. When TS's swap it really hurts user experience

AND

DCs should never have enough going to swap

Hope it helps.

Mike

Remember - There is always another way..........I just haven't found out what it is yet!

[yinyang]

another thing to consider - I always set the initial and maximum size to be equal. Doing so from the beginning will keep your paging file from being fragmented. If it starts together, it stays together....

'no one likes a grump except another grump' - so don't be one and hopefully they'll leave you alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back