Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pagemaker vs Dreamweaver vs Acrobat

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5BLT

Technical User
Apr 27, 2002
US
I currently am running Dreamweaver 4. I was recently sent a PageMaker file that contains a newsletter for publication on a web site. Hence, here's my questions:

1) I am unable to "read" these files. Do I need to have Pagemaker installed to read them?
2) Assuming that I need to get this program, what is the minimal that I need to buy? I've noticed that there are several "versions" available, which one would be recommended?
3) As I said, my goal is to convert these files to Adobe to be posted on the web. Is this possible?

Thanks Bob

Hi, W5BLT,

> Do I need to have Pagemaker installed to read them?

Yes, I suggest you return to the sender and tell them to convert it to Acrobat PDF format. Any experienced PM user will not have any difficulty doing that as everything needed is bundled with PM.

> Assuming that I need to get this program, what is the minimal that I need to buy?

You'll the latest version PM7.0.1. If you are buying cold, than you're looking at £395/€620 + tax and delivery. An upgrade (i.e. you already have a licence number) is much more reasonable at £59/€95 + tax and delivery.

> my goal is to convert these files to Adobe to be posted on the web. Is this possible?

See my first sentence.

Iechyd da! John
01:57 21/01/03 GMT

Yes, you need Pagemaker in order to even view the files, let alone convert them to PDF for web. Pagemaker 7 is the latest release, if you shop around ebay you might find a version of 6.5 floating around. If you go the ebay route, make sure they are sending you a legal version with manual and serial number. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Ta-raa!! Wotcha Carl!!

Must get to bed - it's after 2 am.

Iechyd da! John
02:10 21/01/03 GMT

Hi, Carl,

> you go to bed?

I hang upside down in the wardrobe at dawn, actually, (with the PM7 User Guide of course!)

Iechyd da! John
22:19 25/01/03 GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back