Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pagemaker files huge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffyre98

Technical User
Mar 8, 2005
US
Even if I have just one letter sized page with just a line of text on it, when I save, the file is enormous...too big even to email in many cases. Is there a setting that I should change? At the newspaper I work at, they can get an entire 10 page publication on a floppy...I can't even get mine on a zip sometimes. Since I need to be able to email these files, can anyone give me some guidance? Thanks in advance for sharing your time and knowledge. Saff

Hi, saffyre98,

Files Seem Too Large

1. ONLY use File -> Place to bring graphics into PageMaker. Make sure you link your images when you place them into PM. Do not embed them in any way.

When placing images in a PageMaker file, the following message appears:
“The graphic in the linked file would occupy xxxxxxx bytes in the publication. Include the complete copy in the publication anyway?”
The correct answer to this question is always "NO".

Note: PDF files do not have the option of being linked and are always embedded. The larger dpi that is picked in the preview section of the PDF import dialogue box, the larger the PageMaker files will be. This is also true of native Illustrator files version 9 and later, which are based on PDF.

2. If you have placed any *.EPS files, check the preview settings generated by PM - previews set to millions of colours at 300 dpi are very large.

3. Under File -> Preferences -> General, select "Save Smaller" under Save options.

4. Re-save your publication using "Save as…" giving it a new name/location.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back