Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pagemaker 7 hyphenation with 6.5 docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

badtzmaru

IS-IT--Management
Mar 17, 2010
IT
Hello, i'm new to pagemaker, I got a customer who had to migrate from 6.5 to 7. He can open his old PMD document with no problem, but simply cannot use hyphenation from "type" menu: the only choice available is "manual only", other 2 options are unavailable.
If we start a new document, hyphenation options are available - only this documents, made with 6.5, causes options to disappear.
Unluckly these old documents are somehow "templates" for his works.
Any idea about reason? How could I make hyphenations options work again with these docs?
thank you so much!

I no longer use PM, but I suggest you check the style palette for the template and the global and document preferences.

PM7 can be made to install and run on Vista and Win7 with some difficulty but becomes a disaster waiting to happen. The ideal operating system is WinXP SP2 or Win2K. (You wouldn't be expecting Word97 to run on a current OS.)

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

thanks for reply. Both OS are XP sp3, so no problem for that.
The fact is that if I open SAME document .pmd in PM6.5 hyphenation is enabled, in PM7 is disabled. I can use hyphenation on a new document in PM7.

Hope it's more clear.

I had a look in preferences and document setup, but have no idea on what could influence hyphenation enabling.

PM7 should be OK on WinXP SP3.
With PM6.5 and WinXP, all bets are off.

See this tech doc from Adobe.
If you want to run PM6.5 problem free, you need to install it on a Win2K PC.

PM is going nowhere, so use your licence number(s) to get a discounted move to InDesign while you still can.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

The problem is not using PM 6.5 on W2k /XP or whatever! Configuration is PM7 on WinXP, so let's forget about this. I was wondering if anyone knows why, opening a 6.5 file on PM7, hyphenations options are turned off...

All I can think of is the dictionary isn't installed.

Otherwise, move to InDesign as soon as possible.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back