Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pagefile.sys ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgg

MIS
Sep 10, 2000
US
When I try to apply security on the C: drive I get an error message stating that I can't apply security info to C:\pagefile.sys.

It says that the process cannot access the file becauseit's being used by another process. It always seems to be in use by another process.

Anyone have any ideas for a workaround?
Thanks
Barry [sig][/sig]

Pagefile.sys is assigned by the system and is used for diskswapping etc. You cannot change any access permissions. [sig]<p>hnd<br><a href=mailto:hasso55@yahoo.com>hasso55@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

You cannot change the permissions but you can move it to another drive. Or you could use a policy to restrict rights.
the pagefile.sys is the virtual memory (swap file) it is likely to be the same size as you RAM. You can change it size. The only implications with moving it (or reducing it)is that you will no longer be able to do a memory dump in the event of a crash, but you would need to be very technical to make any use of that.
To move it you have to right click on the 'My Computer' icon, and go thru properties, virtual memory, etc.
pritch. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back