Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pagefile.sys error in win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

walterb1

Technical User
Sep 13, 2001
US
I have recently restored to my only hard drive a Norton Ghost Image of my primary drive.( I was getting a BSOD with a registry error, no hive file?) Now I get an error telling me the pagefile.sys file is too small or missing.
I cannot login at all. The system seems to be stuck in a loop at this error. I can't boot in any safe mode at all.
What do I have do to get win2k to let me in?
Any help at all is appreciated,TIA.
Walter

Have you attempted to do a repair of the installation? Your pagefile was on a different partition or drive than the ghosted image has. So if it cant find it you get that error. BUT it should allow you in and change that. Try booting from the CD and do a repair of the installation. This should fix the problem. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Ok, thanks I did the reinstall and w2k offered to fix the
problem. It did. Sonow I can boot and it saved all my currently installed programs.

But one problem has reared its head: Previously the boot drive was M:, everything ran fine. Now after the repair
it re-did the drive letter to c:\ and all the icons are disconnected! Paths are wrong, etc. How do I fix this easily?

Thanks, so much for your help so far.

Walter

Right click on my computer and go to Manage. Next go to Disk management folder. Right click on the C: drive and select change drive letter. You may have to reboot. Let me know if you need help. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

It won't let me change the letter of the primary drive.
Thanks,
Walter

I had the pagefile.sys error once and my solution was to repair the master boot record.
I booted to a dos prompt and typed "fdisk /mbr".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back