Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pagefile on second partition ignored after reboot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprowler

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
GB
Hi evryone. Hope you can help.

I have a W2K server running Terminal Services with 3 partitions, i.e. C K and L. C is running low on storage, so I have spanned the total paging file size over C and L. C has 64 Mb pagefile and L has 2048 Mb pagefile. When I click Set the total paging file changes to 2112 Mb (good). Hower, when the server reboots, it ignores the pagfile on L and sets the total paging file size to 64 Mb (bad).

To rectify this, I have to reboot, delete the pagefile on L, recreate it, and the OS sees the new pagefile. I have to do this every time the server is rebooted.

If left at 64 Mb, I get lots of hangs, and can't use Terminal Services Manager. Logons are also very slow.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions as to how I can rectify this problem. For your info, the server has 2x1Gb processors, 1 Gb RAM and total disk of 36 Gb, of which 8 Gb is allocated to C.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Hi,

Is there any events in the event viewer regarding this issue?

Victor K
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);CNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA;Net+;CCNA

Hi GENEnG! Thanks for your reply.

The answer is No, which seems curious.

The only additional info I can think to give you is that the server is a member of an NT4 domain. Because of a problem with the Licence Manager, I have to log on as my Domain Administrator and Lock out. If I log out, then I have problems with users logging on with their NT4 usernames and passwords.

Any help you can give will be gratefully received.

Hi,

It does not matter, where is your PC - in the domain or not there. It does not relates to pagefile. I think, I found the solution: see MS KB 242447.
Also it is useful to review the following also:

Good Luck!

Victor K

Thanks very much GENEnG! I'll have a look straight away. I'll let you know.

Hi again GENEnG. Looked at KB 242447 and tried the changes they suggested. I'll look at the others too.

Thanks for your help. I should have looked in TechNet myself. Thanks again, and you deserve a star.

Hope it'll be OK. :)

Victor K

Hi GENEnG! Tried what the KB suggested, rebooted over the weekend and it promptly ignored the second pagefile again! Any other suggestions?

I assume that the L: drive is a local drive ? and not a network drive ?

Hi tzeweng! Thanks for replying!

Yes it is a local partition on the server. All partitions C, K and L and NTFS partitions.

Your help is much appreciated.

Are you removing the swapfile entirely from the C drive or leaving a small file there? If leaving a small pagefile, remove it completely and set your pagefile only to the L drive.

Hi BigOrange! Thanks for your help. I'll try it over the weekend and let you know.

Hi BigOrange! Sorry for the delay in replying (been on leave). Tried what you said, and on reboot ended with a pagefile of only 20 Mb! Any suggestions? Can anyone else help?? Please???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back