Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

Status
Not open for further replies.

3dColor

Programmer
Jan 10, 2006
US
I walk in to my office to see this blue screen stop message:
"Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area"

I did some reading on this error and it sounded like a memory issue. So I started to play with the RAM.

I disconnected everything connected to the computer.

I have two sticks of 1G RAM. When I have the first one in by itself I get a Stop Error on a blue screen that reads
"Memory_Management".

When I have the second 1G RAM stick in by itself I get the
"Driver_irql_not_less_than_equal" 0x0000007E.

Both sticks in together I get:
"Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area".

I was able to get in to safe mode after many reboots.

I tried to do a vista memory test, but every time I tried it would run it I would not get an report back because it would never reboot correctly.

While in safe mode I tried a System Restore, but when it rebooted it got hung up on the vista loading screen.

I tried starting vista in debug mode but i got the blue screen and it gets hung before it gets to safe mode.

I am pretty sure it is a memory issue. I am able to view the event log files just before and after I got the blue screen error and the first event log error says
"The hardware has reported an uncorrectable memory error".
I can share the event log files if anyone wants to take a look.

I was able to in safe mode (from installation CD) look at the "System Info" and I saw "OK"'s next to all the memory and devices.

Clue: Also about 24 hours before this all happened I got a "SuperFetch" alert.

When in safe mode the computer is very unstable, if you try to do anything too quickly or too taxing it - it reboots. Sometimes I got only seconds before it reboots again.

I was able to run a Startup Repair and it fixed one item:
"System volume on disc is corrupt - Repair action: file system repair (chkdsk) Result: completed successfully."

It then rebooted then I got a message that fonts/hattan.ttf was corrupt and unreadable. I then got a "recovered from unexpected" error window with a bunch of details in it.

I was able to run a CHKDSK and it seemed to say it fixed a few items, however when I tried to run a defrag it tells me that "the volume is marked as dirty run CHKDSK" so I try running CHKDSK but it still doesn't fix the issue.

With 1G (one stick) of RAM in the machine and many more reboots I was able to boot noramlly (no safe) mode and the computer seems a bit more stable but when I look at the logs I am getting the following:
"The file system structure in the disc is corrupt and unstable. Please check the chkdsk utility on c".
But chkdsk is not helping me.

My email on Thunderbird is not opening normally or in Thunderbird's own safe mode. I am guessing those Thunderbird files are not stable.

Is my hard drive toast?

I forgot to add system info so you can see more about my computer setup:

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DUO
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2399 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS P5N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 0202, 11/22/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16386"
User Name DUO\User
Time Zone Mountain Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,021.94 MB
Available Physical Memory 375.17 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.24 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.25 GB
Page File Space 1.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

[Memory]

Resource Device Status
0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus OK
0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT OK
0xC0000-0xDFFFF PCI bus OK
0x3FF00000-0xFEBFFFFF PCI bus OK
0xFA000000-0xFCFFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
0xFA000000-0xFCFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT OK
0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT OK
0xFB000000-0xFBFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT OK
0xFDF00000-0xFDFFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
0xFDE00000-0xFDEFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
0xFDD00000-0xFDDFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
0xFDC00000-0xFDCFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
0xFD900000-0xFD9FFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
0xFD800000-0xFD8FFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
0xFD9FE000-0xFD9FFFFF Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller OK
0xFE02F000-0xFE02FFFF Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
0xFE02E000-0xFE02E0FF Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
0xFE02D000-0xFE02DFFF NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller OK
0xFE02C000-0xFE02CFFF NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller OK
0xFDB00000-0xFDBFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
0xFDA00000-0xFDAFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
0xFDBF0000-0xFDBF7FFF Gigabyte GN-WP01GS PCI WLAN Card(Turbo) OK
0xFDBFF000-0xFDBFF7FF VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
0xFE024000-0xFE027FFF High Definition Audio Controller OK
0xFE02B000-0xFE02BFFF NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller OK
0xFEFF0000-0xFEFF03FF High precision event timer OK
0xFEFF0000-0xFEFF03FF System board OK
0xFEFF0000-0xFEFF03FF System board OK
0xF0000000-0xF1FFFFFF Motherboard resources OK
0xD6000-0xD7FFF System board OK
0xF0000-0xF7FFF System board OK
0xF8000-0xFBFFF System board OK
0xFC000-0xFFFFF System board OK
0x3FEF0000-0x3FEFFFFF System board OK
0xFFFF0000-0xFFFFFFFF System board OK
0x0000-0x9FFFF System board OK
0x100000-0x3FEEFFFF System board OK
0xFEC00000-0xFEC00FFF System board OK
0xFEE00000-0xFEE00FFF System board OK

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (Windows 2000 Error and Event Messages Help)

I hope it is not a Motherboard problem.

Have you tried setting the Bios to Safe Defaults, or even checking for any updated Bios?

To check your RAM more thoroughly try these.

To check your Hard Drive further than ChkDsk can.

The drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic bootable software to check your drive for problems.

Run the System File Checker program from a command prompt by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your Vista DVD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched. Links in this article (look at the Upgrade options where in your case you would upgrade your Vista to itself and thereby perform a repair).

Windows Help and How-to

Check what Repair or Recovery options are included with your actual machine if you were not given a retail DVD but have a Recovery type DVD.

Linney,

Thanks for all the advice.

Regarding the first link above, I tried running "Chkdsk /f /r" but it won't run because it says:
Windows can't check the disk while it's in use

I took a look all around the BIOS and I could not locate Safe Defaults or disabling memory caching. Updating the BIOS scares me, I think I will wait on the manufacturer to help me on that one.

I did try this on F: drive (partition) and it worked fine, just doesn't work on C:.

Another thing I forgot to mention is when I was in changing around the RAM sticks I noticed that one of my video card's fan stop working. I am thinking that the video card got hot over time and the RAM on board that card could have failed which in turn created this whole issue. (I took the card out)

I tried running the Sfc /Scannow 3 times, each time it got to 8% and then the dos window closed. Not sure if that is normal.

I had already tried your last repair or recovery suggestion before without any luck.

I will try testing the memory from the links you suggested once I am allow to download it.

So how do I fix the C: drive corrupt files if CHKDSK doesn't work for me? Is my ownly choice to rewrite over the Visit install?

Try running ChkDsk from Safe Mode, or from the Recovery Console to avoid the problem of some other piece of software you are running accessing the drive at the same time as ChkDsk.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

If you have overheating problems then this might explain your machine's behavior, I'd fix those before running anything else as a matter of priority.

Whoops, I forgot this is a Vista question, while using the Recovery Console is a possibility if you have an XP or 2000 CD, it is probably a better option to use the Startup Repair provided by Vista itself. It will automatically check your drive for errors or you can run ChkDsk from the Command prompt in the recovery and repair options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back