Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page size larger than 48"? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougyfish

Technical User
Aug 5, 2003
US
Is it possible to have pages larger than 48 inches in height? Quark 5 or older please.

Thanks,
Doug

No, but it's not really a problem. Just set up your document at a reduced proportion, and tell your printer to output it at an enlarged percentage.

For example, if you want a poster that's 60" x 40". Set it up at 30" x 20" (50% reduction), and ask your printer to output at 200%. Keep the percentages simple (50%, 25%, 10%..) and in proportion, and also tell your printer the actual measurement of the final print as well as the enlargement (I want it to be enlarged 200% to give me a 60x40" print).

Thanks for the info. Are there any caveats or "gotchas" that I should be aware of when doing this?

Thanks,
Doug

Quick list (with some repeats!)

1) Keep the percentages simple. Don't just change the inches to centimeters. While technically still correct, it assumes that your printer has some reasonable number skills.

2) Make sure you reduce both dimensions. Obvious, I know, but I've seen it happen!

3) Keep the larger size in mind when deciding on image resolution. For example, if you're setting up a document at half size, then double the image resolution. (ie. invert the fraction, so 1/4 the size becomes 4/1 times the resolution). So, if you import a 300dpi scan at 100%, and you want your poster to be enlarged to 200%, the final resolution will be 150dpi.

4) Check with your printer about image resolution - generally, large format prints get away with about 120dpi, sometimes even lower. So don't waste time with 800mb files!

5) Tell your printer what you want the final size to be, and be helpful by telling him the percentage enlargement that relates to this.

Other than that, just the usual 'collect for output' stuff. After you do one job, you'll find it pretty easy!

Thanks for the tips. Final printer output is 125dpi so I was planning on doing the images at 300dpi so it sounds like I'm headed in the right direction.

Doug

If you have 'Bleed' don't forget to resize that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back