Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page results are strange on Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartiums

Technical User
Feb 22, 2005
GB
Can anyone tell me that when I type

" on Google

I get the result:

"
Google can show you the following information for this URL:

Find web pages that are similar to Find web pages that link to Find web pages that contain the term "
....and why it doesn't display the title and description????

Thanks

Teeny

Could be many reasonsfor this, It's known as a PIP (Partially Indexed Page).

In this case it's a duplicate page.

you have get-well-gift-baskets.htm & getwellgiftbaskets.htm both indexed both return a 200 response and they are 99% duplicate, so one is being dropped. Google has chosen to dump getwellgiftbaskets.htm.

I would have thought that you have enough problems recently on your site without adding duplicate content to the mix as well [smile]

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Hi Chris

I'm still not getting anywhere fast - I changed my page names to have the hyphens in as someone said it improves keyword searching.

What should i do with my old pages, i.e. getwellgiftbaskets.htm - just delete them off the server?

Also, get-well-gift-baskets.htm currently has no page rank even though I have lots of links to my main page yet getwellgiftbaskets.htm has a page rank of 4 on Google - will I only achieve page rank when someone links to that particular page?

Thanks again

Teeny

when Google picks up all your new links and the next time there is a PR update for what PR is worth which is <= 0

This crap about hyphenated page names is just that crap!

There is only one occasion where they are useful for Google, that is when some one links to the page using the url as anchor text. Other than that there is very very little benefit. certainly not enough to go changing URL and loosing any link pop and therefore rankings that your old pages had built up.

You will need to 301 redirect all the old page names to the new page names to ensure you recover them and avoid problems with duplicates.
see HR Redirect Thread

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back