Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page Numbering in InDesign 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

annconroy

Instructor
Apr 28, 2006
CA
I want to start a new file at page 161. I am setting up a magazine, and because of the size, am doing it in three separate files. I don't want numbers to appear on the page. I only need to know what page I would be on in relation to the previous files.

I have selected the master page, clicked on 'Numbering and Section Options' - 'Start Page Numbering at'. After entering the number and clicking OK I get a message telling me to go to my 'Preferences' - 'General' and choose 'Absolute Numbering". I have done that and it makes no difference.

Thank you in advance,

Ann

I believe you would want "Section Numbering" in your preferences, not "Absolute".

I have tried that but it says "A page number in this section already exists in another section". To the best of my knowledge I don't have it associated with another section.

Any suggestions are welcome and thanks for getting back to me.

Ann

Choosing "Absolute" in the general preferences means that the first page of the document will always appear as "1" in the Pages panel. Setting the option to "Section Numbering" will reflect the custom numbering you have created within the Pages panel.

"A page number in this section already exists in another section" is just a warning. You should be able to proceed.

...the warning just lets you know you may be upsetting numbering that you have already defined elsewhere in the document. If you did not intentionally set another section, there is nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back