Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page Numbering and Blank Pages in Word 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbara265

Technical User
Oct 16, 2000
US
I have a very long, fairly complex (by my standards anyway!) user's manual I've created for a client. It is written in book style with even numbered pages on the left and odd numbered ones on the right. New chapters are always forced to a new, odd numbered page. The page numbering scheme uses chapter numbers and section (heading style 2) numbers in the page number. When the last section of a chapter happens to end on an odd page and the document is printed, Word does not number the back side of that odd page (which would be an even numbered page if it had text on it) or put a header or footer on the page. It seems as far as Word is concerned the page doesn't exist. I end up with a blank page just prior to the next chapter beginning and was wondering if there is a way to set an option so this doesn't happen?

I have played with the document a bit and can manually force this to work if I enter enough carriage returns on the last odd page to force another even numbered page. It ends up blank too, though it has a page number and header & footer. This seems an absurd way to have to do this though!

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks.

Barbara

I have created many, many manuals for humongous companies and always hated that feature. I used to put my own page breaks in to create those blank pages. Some companies like to have the sentence "Page intentionally left blank." printed on the page.
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Hi Barbara,

If I remember correctly, book style dictates that blank pages are not to show headers/footers at all. I'd say, you're keeping in style perfectly! A quick scan of the contents of my bookcases seems to confirm this.
A truly perfectionistic editor will therefore use all sorts of tricks to tweak the material so that the last page of a chapter always ends on an even page.

For the gospel on this, turn to printers' or publishers' manuals - if you can stomach all the detail ...

IS

Ilses,

I was afraid this was going to be the case. It looks like tweaking and fiddling are in my immediate future!

Thanks for your reply.
Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back