Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

page not loading smoothly

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooldisk2005

Technical User
Aug 3, 2005
US
All,
I created the following page with Adobe Photoshop and the page is not loading smoothly or all together at one time. Here is the page:
The left side, the main body, and the bottom are images that are included in the table/cells. I did it this way to allow me to put a table on top of it to write the text.

When I do this it causes those sections to load differently.

How can this be fixed?

Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

I seem to recall that last September you were looking into using proper layout techniques rather than tables. How is progress on that? I also notice that of your 50 questions asked on the forums, you've found very few of the answers to be helpful. May be worth re-reading faq222-2244. If you're not getting the right answers it will help you with asking better questions - if you are getting the right answers it will show how to acknowledge them.

For this site you probably need to start with which will show you the problem exactly - your image file is uncompressed and far to big for purpose and you seem to be using plain spacer gifs without using the browser resize. That is, you're sending separate spacers each at full size.

FF and IE both have developer toolbars available which give you information on image usage amongst other useful information, particularly the dev toolbar in FF. For instance it shows 16 validation errors, probably most caused by not having a valid doctype for your page.

Steam Engine Prints

Do not use tables. And, use smaller (in size) images. Your page is hell for someone with slow internet connection. Having to load a 176k title graphic that does not contribute to the content on the page is too much. Photoshop has a 'Save for Web' option, use that and try to optimize the image size for one.

Second is tables. While loading the content, tables will be jostling content around before all content is rendered and it is clear what the table structure looks like. Sometimes, this makes content jump around or even not be in the correct position on the first load. That is another reason using tables for layout is bad. I suggest you move to a more modern technique of laying out the website, namely with CSS. That way you can even add some of your images as backgrounds (i.e. header image) and since backgrounds are the last to load, they will not interfere with the people wanting information from your website and having to wait for the big banner to load.

You are loading 500KB worth of images before anything starts to happen. Amongst them a 200kb background image that does absolutely nothing except interfere with the loading of the rest of the page. The blue stripes image in your background should be no more than a few KB in size, not 200.

The loading of the rest of images shuffles the tables around until all images load creating the effect you load.

Follow Vrag's advice and look into CSS. And reduce your images sizes. Photoshop should be able to compress all of your images to at least half there current size, without any noticeable quality loss. Also you have too many images that are just blue backgrounds, that could probably be replaced by a CSS class with a color defined and load instantly.
As opposed to bog down the page loading time, by waiting for them.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Thank you all so very much for all the tips. I used them and it is better now!!!

Again, I appreciate all the tips so very much!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Is your page nothing but images now, or is the URL on top now invalid?

I think it is nothing but images, in effect ignoring almost every single piece of advice that was given. Except the part about reducing the image sizes.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back