Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

page loading slowww

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassified

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
US
I was wondering if there is a script or somthing i can do to make my home page load faster. I think I might have to many scripts running now, maybe this is the probblem. Does anyone have any advice?? Life Is Good.
HASSIFIED

Hi mate,

Let me see if I've got this right - You want a script to speed up your site? Not possible, not in the sense you mean anyway.

If you have too many scripts running just now, adding another will only cause further problems and could not possibly speed the server up.

Also, due to the fact that you have provided zero details I can't even tell you where to start rectifying this.

If you have images, make sure they are optimised, if you have server-side scripts, make sure they work correctly and are not opening memory leaks or runaway processees on the server.

Other than that, there is nothing I can advise that is even remotely to do with HTML.

Hope this helps Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change.
The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

...and how about your webserver? if it's a P1 66MHz with 8MB RAM, you'll get slow performance vs a P4 2.0GHz 2GB RAM...

=========================================================
if (!succeed) try();
-jeff

I suggest you read the HTML tutorial on your site and use it to re-code your homepage. For example, your page has all these tags to centre your "hassified" graphic:

Code:
<div align=&quot;center&quot;>
  <table width=&quot;90%&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; cellspacing=&quot;0&quot; cellpadding=&quot;0&quot;  bgcolor=&quot;#000000&quot;>
    <tr valign=&quot;top&quot;> 
      <td height=&quot;500&quot;> 
        <table width=&quot;100%&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; cellspacing=&quot;0&quot; cellpadding=&quot;10&quot;>
          <tr valign=&quot;top&quot;> 
            <td nowrap bgcolor=&quot;#000000&quot;> 
              <div align=&quot;center&quot;></div>
              <div align=&quot;center&quot;><DIV ALIGN=&quot;center&quot;>

When a simple
Code:
<CENTER>
tag would do much the same thing. I reckon you could reduce the size of your homepage HTML from 18K to just 3 or 4. Remember also that if you have all your text enclosed in a table the browser has to download all the stuff to go into the table before it can display any of it, so don't table-ify stuff you don't need to.

Every feature and script (especially scripts) has a cost in download time - so think carefully about whether you really want so many things on your front page? Try some different versions which do/don't include the various scripts and see what's slowing you up the most - do you really need it? -- Chris Hunt
Extra Connections Ltd

however Chris, the <CENTER> tag is deprecated in html 4.0 and is not good form to continue using. =========================================================
if (!succeed) try();
-jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back