Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

page layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysanthalbee

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2001
RO
i have a report that prints labels onto pages with dimensions of 14 7/8 X 12. however, i cannot get the report to maintain this page size from one execute to the next. it's strange... i have a test report that i used in creating this one and it maintains the page size, but this one doesn't. i have set the page layout, report body, frames, etc. one other quirk is that if i run the test report that has the correct page size, then open the other report, it will then have the correct page size.

am i missing something? i know i probably haven't explained the problem very well but who wants to read a huge post?

thanks in advance,
chrys

Are your report objects and frames dynamically sized? If so, they would cause this effect as the size of the first scanned underlying data changes.

Dave Griffin :)

thanks dave... no the objects are not dynamically sized. one thing i just found that made a difference is if i set the default printer to the one that prints on these pages. the problem with this is that we cannot have the default printer be the one that prints out the labels. and, once this is distributed to the users i'm sure they won't want their default printer changed to this one either.

chrys

Chrys,

Still not sure if I understand the problem completely, but you have hit on an important variable. Changing the printer associated with a report can have definite impacts on how it appear and prints in Impromptu. Impromptu uses the assigned printer to determine the fonts available, and I believe, the unprintable area size on the margins of the page.

Dave Griffin

thanks again dave.... you mentioned printer 'associated' with a report. how does cognos determine which printer is associated with a particular report? i am willing to ask this even if it is a stupid question.

chrys

chrys,

I don't think Impromptu keeps a record of the printer that was used with the report last. I think it tries to render the report (both on screen using page layout, and when printing) using the definitions of the default Windows printer unless you reset it manually with the report open. I have encountered many problems with print drivers not behaving themselves, particularly with reports that want to use Landscape format, especially with oversize paper. The answer is usually to close Impromptu and open it again. Occasionally I need to reload the drivers for the printers.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Dave Griffin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back