Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page File Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

kings23

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
US
I have two identical PE 2400 servers currently in a test enviornment with 2K Server set up with RAID 5, 2GB RAM, and 3 primary partitions C:(boot) E:(Application Data), and F:(Storage Data). Both of these will be sent to a seperate office and will used as domain controllers for Active Directory when rolled out. Since I don't have any mirrored drives or stand-alone drives on another controller to be used for dedicated page file, what are my best options to properly set up the paging file for best performance?

Leave it set up on the boot partition with my current memory installed?

Rebuild the servers with mirrored drives and set up page filing with the mirrored drives?

or Just increase the memory of each server to 4GB and let the boot partition handle it?

These two servers will be configured with DNS, WINS, DHCP and will be used for user personal file storage that will be backed up for approx 50 users.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks

Well like you said, you dont have a seperate drive on a seperate channel to move the swap to so i would just leave it on C: and see what happens. With that small amount of users i dont see those boxes swapping much anyway. if you notice a lot of I/O and slow response due to swapping you could add a single drive to a cheap old scsi card you probably got in the junk drawer and move the swap to that drive and bump up the ram.

just my 2 cents,

RoadKi11

Agree to Roadki11, for your environment and with 2GB of RAM there will be almost no swapping.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back