Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page Count is incorrect

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenMike

Programmer
Dec 4, 2006
GB
Hi,

I have a report (but this problem is equally valid in other reports) with a page header/footer, report header/footer, a group and some detail lines. Fairly standard don't you think!

The problem i'm getting is when the detail lines for a group almost fill the allocated space on a page but not quite i.e. a small gap is left at the bottom which is too small to fit the group footer into. What appears to be happening is that CR9 can't fit the group footer into this space and so throws it to the next page. This in itself is not a problem, but in doing so it doesn't update the page count and this is a problem.

I've tried keeping the group together, keeping the details together, keeping the group footer together, etc. but no combination of these keep the page numbers in line.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on here?

Cheers,

Mike

Are you sure that you have the page number in the page footer and not the report footer or group footer?

Yeap, just checked again and the page numbers are in the Page Footer section (in this case section PFc).

I'm using the CR Special Field 'Page N of M' to return the page count, so it's not even me being a numpty this time!

Mike

Had to ask the basic question first Mike. PFc huh? So you have multiple sections n your page footer? That is most likely affecting the page count. Why multiple page footers?

Can you be more specific about what Page N of M is returning per page? Also are you resetting the page number per group or is it set for the entire report?

-LB

RobbieB, The multiple sections are so that I can include additional notes to the user based on formulae (If the fourmula is true then hide this section type of thing). The last section (PFc) is the bog standard report name, version and number of pages.

I'm fairly sure that the problem is something to do with the way that CR allocates space to sections. As the remaining space on the report is too small to get the Group Footer in it throws it to the next page, but doesn't tell the page counter that it's done so.

If I look at the TotalPageCount it too is confused.

Any ideas?

mike

lbass, On a one page report the PageNofM shows 'Page 1 of 1'. In the circumstace that I've described the same function is also showing 'Page 1 of 1' even though there are two pages.

I am resetting the page number after the GF, but even when this setting is removed I'm still gettin the problem.

Any ideas?

Mike

Well, hopefully lbass has more ideas than this (which he usually does). The last thing I can think of is double checking the settings for the page footer in the section expert and make sure "reset page number after" is not checked. I'm sure you have done this already but I had to state the obvious. I've never had this problem so if you could post the solution when you find it in case I do that would be great.
Good luck!

I've never seen this behavior. I guess I would double check and make it is new page AFTER and not new page BEFORE that you have checked. Otherwise, no ideas about this.

-LB

I've checked the "reset page after" is clear and that the "new page after" and not "new page before" is checked, and they're as expected. I'll try Business Objects to see if they have any idea. Thanks anyway guys.

Mike

RenMike
Page N of M was driving me nuts. Frankly I spent way too long trying to figure out why each page was page 1.
It turns out that that I DID have a page reset turned on in on section of the report.
In reviewing each section in the Section Expert panel and removing the reset the page numbers worked again.
I would not have found it except for RobbieR's comment.
Thanks

Awesome! I'm glad you figured it out and it was something kind of simple and not a problem with your report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back