Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Page cannot be displayed error after installing new ISP and firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

davy2k

Technical User
Mar 18, 2007
JP
Dear All,
I just recently installed a NETGEAR ProSafe VPN Firewall FVS336G and subcribed to a new ISP (using PPPOE) for a client and when they go to some websites it displays "Page cannot be found" error both in IE and firefox, but when they click on refresh the page loads. the irony is my office uses the same ISP and have never experienced this, sometimes they have to click the refresh button many times before it finally loads.

I tried the following:
1)disable the link scanner in AVG (which is the paid version of anti-virus that is installed)
2) I tried to append an external DNS but still the same issue

Thank you for your envisaged assistance.

2) I tried to append an external DNS but still the same issue"

So this begs the question of whose DNS are they using as primary if you have only appended an external DNS? and to what have you added this external DNS to? The server, firewall, workstations?

thank you for your reply cajuntank I added the dns of my ISP to both the firewall and the workstations as well.

Sounding like you are having a connection issue more than a DNS issue. I would affirm this by even getting the ISP's DNS servers out of the picture by specifying maybe some root DNS servers to test with (you can Google that info). Having the same problem with upstream root servers specified, will show it's not a DNS issue and then you can focus your searching to see if you are maintaining connection or if you have drops; I would also try a cheap Linksys (or whatever manufacturer) just to see if your problem lies in a hardware or config problem in your Netgear (I personally am leaning towards this as your issue).

Thank you for your response, What I did was that I changed the configuration to use DNS proxy and then forwarded all external DNS request on the Domain Controller to the firewall LAN IP and everything seems to be working fine so far... I have tested a lot of sites and no "Page cannot be found" error and then refresh to display the page.

Thank you once again for your quick response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back