Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Packet loss and timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagg

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
IE
We have 8 Pcs in our office along with some other networking devices such as printers and IP cameras. Ping responses across the network are generally quick to respond without any loss. However on a couple of occasions recently users reported their machines to be slow. On investigation I found that across the network that drop outs were occuring randomly on different machines. I have tested all cables, and swapped network switch. The only resolution i've found is to restart all devics and networking equipment. This seems to resolve the issue. There are no stray cables and none plugging back in on themselves in the switch. The switch is unmanaged switch. The network is firewalled. What would possibly cause this? Could a device be broadcasting and flooding the LAN? How would you recommend problem solving to get a resolution?

When the problem is occuring and you ping the device (PC), what is the TTL Back?

The TTL decrements by 1 with each hop and a windows default is 128, so if you have 1 layer three device between yourself and the "ping'd" device then the TTL should read 127. If it reads a lot less then you could be getting loops in the network. At least, that is what I have seen before with what you are describing. I know the switch is a L2 device, but it could still be producing a loop that you may not see with ping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back