Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PACKET FILTER PROBS WITH NAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiredToad

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2001
US
I was trying to use a Win2k server to replace a linux router for a small soho. Here is the skinny. I installed server, no probs, configured NAT no probs.
When the NAT wizard starts I choose "network router" So I may configure it myself. I do not use the DHCP, just the DNS proxy. It all works fine until... I set up the packet filters.
In the filters dialog box, one of the options is to filter everything but "tcp (established)" connections. I choose that option, then click the radio button that signifies "drop all packets that do not meet the requirements below" Once that filter is in place I am hosed, no clients get net access, the router does not get net access. I then get an error, that states that " the DNS proxy could not resolve request from my internal cliet".
Now, am I in the wrong about the filter. It should allow connections from the internal network, right. Just not allow new incomming connections. At least that is what I have been told. OR could it be that it only allows current established connections, no new ones. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back