Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Packard Bell / NEC Laptop wont fully boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazycreative

IS-IT--Management
Dec 19, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have a Packard Bell Easynote 6012C / NEC Versanote Vxi+.
Begins booting, checks RAM OK. No Beeps or errors just freezes immediately after RAM check, just displays 'please wait...'
BIOS OK and recognises installed disks (CD,HDD).
Have removed all disks in case that was the problem, but no change. Removed RAM and reseated, also put in second slot, still no change.

I have emailed NEC on several occasions (Packard Bell are COMPLETE tossers) but no reply! Tried to call them but they refused to assist in ANY way!

Please does anyone know if it is something simple ie RAM, or is it the mobo?

Cheers.

David,

Versatile Design UK

You may find some information here.

Ted

"The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell into the Thames, it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity."
Benjamin Disraeli.

I had some problems with my niece's NEC Ready 9909 PC which is also a Packard Bell. I emailed NEC who replied and said they do not offer any support for those anymore but directed me to a website with a lot of Q and A's regarding Packard Bell PC's. Try also looking into

Thanks guys,

no info found on this type of freeze. posted question but have rcvd no responses as yet.

David,

Versatile Design UK

Hey all,

its nearly one year later - STILL no one can help.

I'm thinking of breaking the laptop up for spares!

D

David,

Versatile Design UK

If you can boot to dos with a win98 boot disk then you could run a memory checker from dos, doesnt look like you can boot to dos though?
Is there any way you can put the ram you have on another laptop and check the ram to see if its good?
Since it seems to freeze right after the ram count, it seems like a ram or bios problem. But you seem to be able to get into your bios.
If you can get into your bios, perhaps try setting it to "default" values.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back