Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Package-manager.net displaying pop-up ads on Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy_Warren

Programmer
Sep 15, 2019
US
thread779-1792810

I had a similar problem as reported in the referenced thread. I removed the extension from Chrome, but kept getting pop-ups. Finally, I removed all notification permissions in Chrome for the package-manager.net domain and that seems to have done the trick. I'm not sure how they would be able to display those pop-ups as notifications without my visiting the site if this really did stop things - perhaps there's still some hidden capability that is having Chrome visit the site in the background. But for now, at least the pop-up ads are gone.

You do this in Chrome (v76) as follows: ... (kebab menu) / Settings / Advanced / Privacy and security / Site settings / Notifications. Look under the Allow heading for package-manager.net (or anything else fishy) and choose Remove or Block under the kebab menu (...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back