Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Package distribution from DP to Clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiva2golu

IS-IT--Management
Jun 11, 2009
US
Hi All

We have 7 sites and 12 DP's in our environment, and a large package (3.2 Gb) is already sitting at the DP's which has to be distributed. My concern is, after we schedule the advertisement for all sms clients, how are the clients going to download the package from the DP. I know that clients would be using BITS to download the package. Let say we have 1000 Clients, who are getting the policy to download the package from only one local DP, is there a possibilty that all these clients would be downloading chunks of the package at the same time which can cause network slowness. We have bandwidth throttle while distributing package from Central site to the DP's, but am not sure how sms clients use bandwidth throttle to download packages from the DP's. Can you please help me understand this better ? I need to understand how sms clients download the package from the DP, can multiple clients be downloading the package at same time. What is the max amount of data transferred from DP to SMS client at one time.

Thanks so much.

It depends on how you set the Advertisement. There are two ways... one is DOWNLOAD and execute. The other is RUN over the network. Typically with a package so large, you would not want to DOWNLOAD and execute.

Download and execute uses the local SMS cache to store the package on the client machines. This means each machine would have to have 3.2GB's of availabel space. Also, you would have to adjust your SMS cache size to something larger then 3.2GB. By default, the SMS cache is under 1GB.

Yes, all clients would start the download proces at the same time. This could take your network down. Therefore, if you are going to use the Download and execute method, you will want to target your clients in bunches...by creating collections that contain a subset of your clients. You will need to roll this out over time...and not all at once. The client do not use the bandwidth throttle...this is only for SERVER to SERVER communication in SMS.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Actually if you have SCCM in place the local cache is 5gb now, that aside however you need to determine whether the package can be installed over the network or actually requires a local copy to be installed from.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Actually I would add that just by advertising the app out to your users doesn't mean that the users will all get the app at the same time, they will get it when the machine policy is next refreshed (default policy refresh is normally 60 minutes), it's for that reason that the machine policy is in place anyway (so instead of deploying new apps and bringing the network down 10 seconds after deploying it you can stagger it due to the policy refresh.

You could increase the policy refresh to a couple of hours to allow for the initial deployment (obviously you would have to do that a few days before deploying the app) and then reducing it back down when you have the bulk of the machines done.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

(all very good points)

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003/ MCITP - Enterprise

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back