Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Package and Deployment Wizard with Registry Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

xterra

Programmer
Apr 5, 2001
US
Hi,

I am trying to deploy my application using the Package and Deployment Wizard in VB6. Everything works fine except when I add a registry file and try to compile the Package it says:
"The File is not recognized as a valid registry file."

I can run the file and it adds everything in the registry fine, so I know it is a valid registry file because I went to regedit and exported the hive that I needed. Here is my .reg file

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\Imaging\Fees]
"Clocking"="1"
"ExtraIndexes"="2"
"Page"="1"
"Printing"="1"
"Recording"="1"
"Special"="1"

If anyone knows why it is doing this please let me know.

Thanks,

Adam

Are you trying to package your registry entries with your deployment? If you are why would you not just write your registry entries the first time the app run? I don't think you would even want to send your specific reg file with the app as you could really mess up the target machine. Anything is possible, the problem is I only have one lifetime.

saving these particular values is VERY easy with VB..... just use SaveSetting the first time your app runs. you would do this:

SaveSetting "Imaging", "Fees", "Clocking", "1"
etc., for all the values.

hope this helps ;)

Phr3-|-

for some of my muzic...

Yeah I never thought of doing it that way, It just seemed alot easier to let the installation program handle it but I think I will have to do it the way you are saying. I wasn't going to physically put the .reg files on the client machine, it gives you the option in the depolyment to just install the keys, that was what I was going to do, but I guess it doesn't work. If still would like to know why this technique won't work because it would be alot easier for me if it did.

Thanks,

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back