Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Package and Deployment Wizard question: 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GZook

Programmer
Apr 14, 2003
US
I understand from one of Zor's posts that "it won't put my application on an NT machine".

I'll still look into the MS Visual Studio Installer for future installations, but I've already got the installation package burned into a CDR and I'd hate to waste it.

Besides, my situation is that I'm going:
From one Windows '98 machine connected to an NT LAN,
To another Windows '98 machine connected to (I believe) an NT LAN in a different building.

The app would be installed on the '98 workstation, not the LAN. Therefore, my only consern would be if the connection to the NT LANs would interfere in any way.

Anyone ever try this situation using the PDW? Any problems?

>"it won't put my application on an NT machine

But it will under certain conditions.
On NT 4 it should work as good as with W98.

The main problem is with W2000/XP and the system and protected files.

If you want the setup to work, then make sure the client is updated with the same level of OS Service pack, or higher, as the machine which created the package.
There are a few other problems you may run into such as with shared files, so it depends whyt you are installing.

linked threads

thread222-537319
thread222-538363

[rockband]

If somethings hard to do, its not worth doing - Homer Simpson
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A General Guide To Excel in VB FAQ222-3383
File Formats Galore @

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor