Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

package and deployment include files

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebytez

Programmer
Dec 20, 2001
MY
Hi, I am trying to create a setup program for my application with Microsoft's Package and Deployment Wizard.
I encounter a problem trying to include files with the same name but in different folders.
For instance, I want to include file1.txt in folder1 and also file1.txt in folder2. The wizard only saves one copy of the file into the cab. When I run setup the wizard will extract the file1.txt from folder1 into BOTH folder1 and folder2.
How should I go about solving this ?
OR Is there a way where I can name the file in folder2 to file2.txt when it is saved into the cab and rename it to file1.txt when it is extracted again ?
Really appreciate any help ! Thanks !!

You are going to need to use different names to go about doing this...
If you then want to rename the files during the installation of the application, you will need to do this in the Setup1.exe. Look in your VB directory in Wizards|PDWizard|Setup1 for the Setup1.vbp.
Here you will need to add new functionality at the end of the setup in order to rename the files. Once done, you will need to recompile the setup1.exe and copy the exe to Wizards|PDWizard. You might want to copy all of the files for the vbp in Wizards|PDWizard|Setup1 to another folder, make your changes there, so you do not mess up the original vbp. Then you may also want to change the setup1.exe name to something unique (myProgNameSetUp.exe). If you do that then you will also need to change the Spawn=Setup1.exe
entry in the Setup.lst created by P&D to reflect the new setup1.name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back