Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Package & Deployment Wizard 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rholguin

Programmer
Oct 18, 2002
US
I used the vb package and deployment wizard to package my application. All works well on some machines but on others it states there are some outdated files and do you want to reboot to update all these files, well I select yes it reboots but doesn't pick up from where it left off. I try to install again and it prompts the same thing, need to update files would you like to reboot. Again this only happens on some machines, and they are all running the same operating systems. HELP???

This is one of the limitations of the P&D wizard. It is trying to update a file that is currently being used by windows, but it can't because file is being used by windows.

One way to get around this is to not include that offending file. Which is not very practical.

The other way is to use a different program to create your setup package. You can use Visual Studio Installer, a free download from microsoft, or INNO Setup. INNO is what I have switched to and it can be downloaded free from Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

PDW = Evil

I brokedown and invested in Installshield Express and I love it.

Rob

You may be able to get it to work by stopping some of the services on the machine. For one package I stopped IIS and that solved my problem. For another one I stopped every service possible and it still would not install.

I decided to test installs by editing the lst file and removing all windows files going to system 32. This fixed it but now I have to be sure that the app will still work on that machine.

Check the service pack on the machines. Make sure they're all the same. FOr example, we had this problem on Windows 2000 (backup) server that had service pack 1 installed. The other server had service pack 2 installed and can run a vb app without any problems. Go to command prompt and type in winmsd. This will bring up a window that describes the system information.

Let me know.

rholguin,

there was a similar thread a few days ago
one of my suggestions was to close all other applications before running your setup
i had to close other apps via end task in task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) as they were not visible
HTH

This is what I did.
Function f_LookUp(ps_sql As String, ps_col As String) As String

I'll try it, but how do I phrase the following statement?

f_LookUp = LookUp_rst![ps_col] 'cont_name

If the client PC is updated to at least the same OS Date version as the developing PC, then most of the problems like this will be cured.

Usually, some 3rd party program is running in the background (remember the "Close all running programs" message?) such as a printer manager or Anti-virus program that starts up when the OS is started. This program is using some OS file that is older than the one being installed. Because the file is locked by the OS, because it is in use by another program, the P&D thinks a re-boot will close the running programs and solve the problem.
However, those programs were not started by the user, but by the OS, when booted. You can remove those programs, which automatically start, from the registry. You can also change the P&D setup, to act like other install programs, and check which programs are ran at the OS start-up, log them, remove them from the registry key RUN, reboot, and automatically run your installation program again, do the set-up, and reboot afterwards, changing the registry back to the way it was before.
Or you can use an API function to force a replacement of the file(s) in question.

Updating the clients OS to the most current version should solve the problems, as the files usually in use during your set-up, have been already updated by the OS update package.
You can also omit those files from set-up if you know which ones they are, and if you know that the older version which is already on the client's OS works as well (file in question is usually the MSVCRT40.DLL and you may just get by by removing this from the Setup.lst and re-numbering the file numbers there) [/b][/i][/u][sub]*******************************************************
General remarks:
If this post contains any suggestions for the use or distribution of code, components or files of any sort, it is still your responsibility to assure that you have the proper license and distribution rights to do so!

If you will download and install VB6 Service pack 4 or higher, this problem is solved... the problem is usaly OleAut32.dll being out of date.

Installing VB6 Service Pack 4 on your develpment machine completely resolves all causes of this error.

Good luck!

Tuna

You shouldn't need to have matching OS versions if you use SP4 or higher on your development box.

I have had the same problem with VB SP5 on my Development machine and the same OS (win 2000 pro) as the target machine. The offending file was a windows file (mscvrt.dll). It did end up that the target machines did have a newer version of the file than I had.

Bottom Line fooling around with the P&D would havwe taken more time than switching to another installation program. I now use INNO without any problems and it has a more modern user interface. Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

Wow... ok, thanks for setting me strait on that one.

Tuna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back