Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Package & Deployment Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirenJ

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
GB

Hi all, I am at the stage of packaging my application,
problem is I dont have office DEV edition...

does anyone know how I can get hold of the package and deployment wizard? Can I maybe rip it out of VB6 ?

Hj

:eek:)

hirenJ, in answer to your question two things you may want to know about the package and development wizard.

1. It is probably easier for you to write a VB app setup than it is to use the p&d wizard. As great as the package is I have not been able to find a useful way of deploying more than just the mdb/mde file in other words if you want to create a shortcut on the screen and say an icon for start menu, a background picture or external apps you want to attach to your program you are going to have problems.

If it is runtime you are actually after it may be easier to just attach that to the cd. (Beware, whilst runtime is availabe on just about any office CD the write to distribute it only come with Developer)

2.The benefits to setting up a VB app setup is that you know the code that is included and what it is doing, where as in the wizard you are liable for any probs with a customers machine if the program #*!@s up.

It should not take you to long to write a piece of code that will copy your files onto the users computer and run the app.

(Runtime allows any person to basicly run an app without having access on there machine. It installs a version to be able to run access apps and thats about it)

Good Luck

Zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back