Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P600 Smart Array/MSA60 - failed battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

James99999

IS-IT--Management
Dec 22, 2002
GB
Hi

One of your P600 Smart Array Controllers attached to a MSA60 recently reported a failure battery, when the battery was replaced we started to get spurious messages in HP System Management informing us that a number of drives had failed.

The MSA60 was working fine until the failed battery was replaced.

Does anyone have any ideas why these messages reporting disk failure would have occurred?

I suspect that the battery was changed when the MSA60 was still powered on. Would this have caused the above issues?

Could there have been an issue with caching process on the P600?

Thanks

I would check out the current available firmware for the P600 and the disks compared to what you have now.
I vaguely remember mention of false positives on disk failures with certain firmware.

Neill

I agree with Neill. There have been several devices from HP over the years that report false failures due to the version of firmware on them. I would make sure you're running the latest version of firmware on the controller and the drives.

How old are the drives? Find out if the MSA was shut down during the battery replacement. That could account for the drive failures. A cold boot is one of the hardest things on a drive. Also, if one drive fails, HP usually gives the option to fail the array or go into interim recovery mode. What option was selected?

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back