Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P570 VIO CD0 and vhost device

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfmoreira

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2009
BR
Hello.

Recently, I deleted the CD0 from an LPAR and mounted on one of our VIO servers (in this case the Vios1 out of two).

I have tried to remove cd0 from the vios1 and then a cfgdev on the vios2 but this partition never finds the device.
like this:
$rmdev -dev vhost1 -recursive
$rmdev -dev cd0

And then a $cfgdev on Vios2, to no avail.

This is probably a very common question, but even after searching a lot I couldn't find a way for "recreating" the vhost1 on Vios2, which seems to be the problem I guess.

In order to move a device from one VIOS to another, you need on to remove devices on one VIOS up to the parent adapter slot/device. Then on the HMC move that slot over to another VIOS partition with a DLPAR operation and then run cfgdev on the other VIOS.

HTH,

p5wizard

Hello P5W.

I am sorry...I guess I did not explain it correctly. This VIO server has two Vios Lpars devqa_vios1 and devqa_vios2. I am trying to move the device from the 1 to 2. In the devqa_vios2 I ran the rmdev -Rld and for some reasons, even when I run the rmdev -recursive on the devqa_vios1 it won't "get" the cd0...

I appreciate your help.

If you're moving a CD device from one LPAR to another, that is a DLPAR operation from the HMC.

If you have the CD device on a VIO server and have created a vtopt server device on that VIO server that you share via a virtual scsi bus to many VIO clients (the vhost adapter can connect to any LPAR, any slot), then, on the VIO client that has control over the scsi bus (a vscsi adapter is connected to the vhost adapter on the VIO server), remove the cd0 device and its parent vscsi adapter, then on another VIO client; just run cfgmgr. This will attempt to connect the vscsi adapter of that other VIO client to the vhost adapter on the VIO server and will see the virtual CD device instantly.

HTH,

p5wizard

Yes, I have the physical CD device on the VIO server.

But what you told isn't the same as the "$rmdev -dev vhost1 -recursive and $rmdev -dev cd0" I did on the first vios2 LPAR?

Or do I have to issue a rmdev -Rdl on the dev_Vios1 so I can configure it on the dev_Vios2?

You'll need to explain in detail what exactly you want to do because I think we're not talking about the same thing.

- what are your VIOS (VIO server) LPARs
- what are your VIO client LPARs
- which VIOS LPAR has the hardware device/slot that gives access to the CDrom device
- what vhost adapters have been defined on the VIO servers and how are they set up (1-to-1 or 1-to-any)
- what vscsi adapters have been defined on the VIO clients
- what exactly is the current set up (which LPAR(s) see(s) what type of CD device)
- what is your desired setup.

HTH,

p5wizard

P5W, thanks for your patience. I'll provide the info tomorrow.

You caught me on a good day... ;-)

HTH,

p5wizard

Hey ho, let´s go:

-what are your VIOS (VIO server) LPARs

devqa_vios1
devqa_vios2

machine001, machine002....machine008

- which VIOS LPAR has the hardware device/slot that gives access to the CDrom device

the devqa_vios1 is the one that has the cd right now.

the devqa_vios2 had been rmdev'd -Rdl

- what vhost adapters have been defined on the VIO servers and how are they set up (1-to-1 or 1-to-any)

I couln't pinpoint on configuration this item, but, since the very same cd0 was shared among many LPARs before being shared with the devqa_vios2 (which is also a LPAR), I believe it is 1-to-any.

vhost1.

On the vios2 this adapter could not be re-created through the cfgdev after the rmdev -Rdl....

- what exactly is the current set up (which LPAR(s) see(s) what type of CD device)

Actually ALL LPARS (with the exception of devqa_vios2) can see and mount the cd0.

Attach the cd0 to devqa_vios2. Is that what you meant?

If needed, please list additional info on how to retrieve any data you might need...Thanks, P5W!

jfmoreira said:
-what are your VIOS (VIO server) LPARs

devqa_vios1
devqa_vios2

machine001, machine002....machine008

the devqa_vios1 is the one that has the cd right now.

the devqa_vios2 had been rmdev'd -Rdl

I couln't pinpoint on configuration this item, but, since the very same cd0 was shared among many LPARs before being shared with the devqa_vios2 (which is also a LPAR), I believe it is 1-to-any.

vhost1. [red]can't be right... vhost adapters can only exist on VIO servers, not on VIO clients[/red]

On the vios2 this adapter could not be re-created through the cfgdev after the rmdev -Rdl....

Actually ALL LPARS (with the exception of devqa_vios2) can see and mount the cd0.

Attach the cd0 to devqa_vios2. Is that what you meant?

If needed, please list additional info on how to retrieve any data you might need...Thanks, P5W!

So it looks like you want to undefine the cd0 device on one VIOS and discover it on VIOS2. Well that IS a DLPAR operation.

1) You need to find out on VIOS1 what slot/adapter is used to access the device. Could be a PCI slot and a SCSI adapter. Try and find the parent pciNN device that the cd0 resides under, use the VIOS command "lsdev -vpd" to find that device using the hardware location codes. Note the hardware location code for the PCI device.

2) Next undefine the adapter and recursively all devices under it: rmdev -dev pciNN -recursive. You'll only be able to do that if the SCSI bus the CD is on is not shared with other devices (e.g. hard disks)

3) Now on the HMC move that adapter (HW location code from 1) over to the other VIOS using the DLPAR menu.

4) run cfgdev on second VIOS to discover the device. Now you can use cd0 device on second VIOS.

Side thought: you may be able to use the cd0 device on a vscsi adapter on VIOS2, sharing it like on the other VIO clients, but I don't like to have dependencies between VIO servers. Not sure you can define client VSCSI adapters on a VIO server though...

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back