Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

p550 - Do I need a HMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

aixTim

MIS
Jun 19, 2002
NL
I'm looking at getting a p5-550 with IVM & APV options. Do I need a HMC?

If I don't then what provides the HMC functionality?

tia

Code:
The IVM is part of APV, an optional feature on the servers mentioned above, and is packaged in the Virtual I/O Server. It is activated and usable only on certain platforms and where no Hardware Management Console (HMC) is present. The Integrated Virtualization Manager is not a replacement for the HMC in all environments. Rather, it is a targeted offering for clients requiring a simplified user interface and basic virtualization features. The major difference to keep in mind is that an HMC is the ideal choice for a high availability environment since it allows for a fully redundant configuration.

Regards,
Khalid

It's either IVM (VIOS+HMClike functionality packaged in the first LPAR) or HMC (one or two). problem is that IVM is a single point of failure - ther is only one IVM, and so only one VIOS. For path failover you should have 2 VIOSs...

You'll still need APV (of which IVM is an optional feature) if you want to do any virtual I/O (virtual SCSI, virtual LAN) should you decide to the HMC way.

HTH,

p5wizard

p5W,

Are you saying that if I go the IVM route then I can only have one VIO server? I'm looking at configuring half the box as 1 LPAR and the other with 2 VIO servers to give me vLPARS as required.

When IVM first came out, that was a given. I have not heard of any change on that issue. (reason why we chose not to use IVM).

Also with IVM, every LPAR you build is a VLPAR, you are not allowed / won't be able to assign real IO adapters to an LPAR. All real IO adapters are owned by IVM LPAR and everything is virtualized for client LPARs' use.

HTH,

p5wizard

Thanks p5W - Looks like I'll go down the HMC route.

Plus don't forget to order APV (you'll need that to run VIOSs and to virtualize disks and networks for your VLPARs)

HTH,

p5wizard

hoangkim,
Do you see the "Start New Thread" link at the top of the forum page?
Please start using it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back