Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P55 T2P4 MotherBoard woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbs604

Instructor
Jun 7, 2003
AU
Having lots of problems with this old MB with P133 fitted.

First problem was 2Gb HD failed to spin up and was confirmed dead in another PC.

Fitted another HD but cmos fails to recognise it, or indeed any HD I try to fit, ranging in size from 124Mb to 1.2Gb. Auto detect does not find anything so parameters are entered manually on the setup page. It will boot to DOS on a floppy, but FDISK reports "No fixed disks present"

After the message "PNP Init completed" there is about a 45 second delay before it continues with the boot sequence.

And another thing - I cannot clear the CMOS either. Jumpered the pins for about 1/2 hour - nogo.

Old MB terminal do you think?

Cheers,
Brodie

It sounds like the HD controler on the motherboard could have failed. Have you tried flashing the BIOS with a newer version? This may help, but I wouldn't be too hopefull.
Your best bet is to chuck this motherboard. The only thing is that from the age of it, it sounds like an AT style so you would need to replace the processor, RAM, Case etc.
Or if you aren't into building your own get a new PC.

With the Hard Drive.. have you tried an overlay program??

like EZ BIOS??? or some other...

Check out the hard drive manufacturer's website for an overlay program (usually free)...

for the BIOS issue... try remove the battery for 15 secs.. then re-install it...

Hola, have you tried a new IDE cable? could be that your cable is fried...

other than that I would do as someone suggested, get a newer type PC, for home use a used PII or PIII would do...

Ben

The battery is not a battery as we know it, but a little black box with "Odin..something" on it and soldered onto the board. Cables are all checked OK.

So I am not going to mess with this beast any longer, I've wasted enough time on it already, plus the customer is beginning to foam at the mouth.

I think I will look around for another PC. The customers site has an identical PC, both of which are used in a factory production line. When I get the new PC I can clone the other's HD and hopefully should be back in production soon.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers,
Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back