Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P505 orange light

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyck

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
GB
The powercable managed to come out on one of my P505's, the server is now back up and working fine but on the front panel there is an orange light with an exclamation mark lit up. How do you get rid of this?

Is the server managed by an HMC or standalone?

If HMC - use HMC screens to manage the reported errors and turn off the System Attention Indicator.

If standalone, use diag to check out the system and do a Log Repair Action against the power problem which is logged in the error report. Then use
diag
-> task Selection
-> Identify and Attention Indicators
-> Set System Attention Indicator to NORMAL

HTH,

p5wizard

Another solution for standalone is:

/usr/lpp/diagnostics/bin/usysfault -s normal

Thanks for the excellence responses, I have done what you suggest and my orange light has gone!

Now when I get some free time I must look into enabling HMC, any good pointers/links to doing this?

An HMC is an appliance (LINUX workstation) which manages power5 and/or power6 servers and the LPARs on these servers. It does that through an IP connection with the servers' FSP or FSPss (FlexibleServiceProcessor).

If you have POWER servers which are supposed to be managed by an HMC, you shouldn't really be messing with the Attention Led through the AIX-diag screens...

HTH,

p5wizard

I think DiagELA will turn the light on again at 4am when it runs.
You need to log a repair action against sysplanar0 and you have probably found the wall rc.powerfail message in the root crontab by now, if not then you need to remove this too.

me said:
If standalone, use diag to check out the system and [red]do a Log Repair Action against the power problem[/red] which is logged in the error report. Then use
diag
-> task Selection
-> Identify and Attention Indicators
-> Set System Attention Indicator to NORMAL

HTH,

p5wizard

ok, 'nuff said, didn't bother reading it properly, should have known better p5.
wall thing still applies if DiagELA got a hold of it tho'.
;-)

Yes, you're absolutely right about the crontab wall entry. Though that wall message should be self-explanatory on how/when to remove it if/when it occurs...

But on a p5-505 with just one power supply I doubt that ELA would find out about the server running one just 0 power supplies... ;-)

HTH,

p5wizard

it would if there was an errpt entry - which there should have been - and diagela ran before the repair / replaced_fru was placed in errpt ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back