Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P4 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbadler

MIS
Feb 28, 2001
US
I have a Pentium 4 1.7ghz with a Supermicro P4STA and 700mb of RAM with 2 133gb ATA133, It seems to just shutdown on its own all of a sudden, no message just goes to a black screen and the hard drive light remains lit and you can not power off or use the reset button to get it back on. It has to be unplugged. What do you think the issue with this is? The memory? CPU? Hard Drives? Power Supply?

Im hoping your on XP,
Go to start control pannel administrative tools and check the event viewer.
See if their are any errors.
I would also check power management settings and virus, spybot and adaware your system.

Hola, sounds like your PSU doesn't have the oomph to drive all the stuff you got hooked up... what is the wattage and have you tried another PSU...

Could also be a thermal issue... ie. CPU getting to hot...

was the CPU installed by you, or from a store? if by your own skills, did you use HeatSink (HS) compound? what are your thermal settings in BIOS...

Ben

PS - PC's can be fun, until they decide to do things on their own...

I'm banking on the power supply. If not maybe it's heat generated, but I don't think so. *hands over his two cents*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back