Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

p4 800 fsb on 400/533 mother board???

Status
Not open for further replies.

auspiv9689

Technical User
Jan 19, 2003
US
Is it possible to run a new P4 with a 800mhz fsb on a motherboard that only supports 400/533? Could you manully set the multiplier and the fsb?

Greatful for any help, austin

The P4 should work fine, It will only run at the motherboard speed though.

i know it is possible but would i be able to run it a 800 fsb with the multiplier set correctly?

No, more than likely the motherboard FSB setting will max out around 166MHz (166 X 4 = 664MHz). The multiplier is used to set the clock speed of the CPU, not the theoretical FSB speed.

On the P4, the FSB actually runs on a built-in multipler of 4. So the first P4's used a 100MHz FSB that was theoretically running at 400MHz. Then when the Northwood 533MHz FSB came out, the true FSB speed was 133MHz x 4 = 533MHz. Make sense? There is a difference between actual and theoretical speeds.

Your motherboard would need to support a 200MHz FSB (actual) for it to even have a chance.

i know im being stubborn but my mobo supports fsb's up to 250 mhz abit it7max2. couldn't i run it at 200 mhz quad pumped and with whatever the multiplier would be for the new p4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back