Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P4 2.8 Northwood overtemp issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

smellydoberman

Technical User
Sep 14, 2002
US
Intel D865GLC MB w/P4 2.8 Northwood & stock Intel HS
1024 Dual Channel DDR-400
Win XP Pro SP2
Default Timing settings and HT enabled

Are there overheat issues with this CPU? Here's what I found on my friends machine prior to diving in:

Somewhat dusty HS. Idle temp was 47C. There was an alarm record of regular periods of overheat alarms followed by a short period of non-alarm operation. After separation the CPU and HS were liberally coated with a substance resembling Artic Silver 5.

Following a complete dust blow out and a thorough cleaning of both surfaces with 100% pharma grade isopropyl, I applied what my friend supplied, Antech 5 thermal compound. Since there are no "how to" instructions at the Antec website I applied the stuff per the instructions for A/S 5.

I'm now showing 42.7C while browsing. Is this normal for this CPU? I haven't done a burn in due to the break-in of the compound. How long should I wait for the burn in procedure? And what should I expect for a temp when we crank it on?

If the answer is dump the stock HS, any suggestions for an uprated one?

We both thank anyone's help in advance.

Homebrew P4-3.0G; Intel D865GBF M/B;
512 Crucial DDR400; Sony DVD R/W; (1) Maxtor 160 SATA, WD Raptor 74G ESATA, WD Caviar SE 200G, WD 80G EIDE & Maxtor 60G EIDE HDD's in CRU Dataport V+ pull out drawers; Supermicro SC-750A Full Tower; PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 425 Supply; (3) 92mm front intake; (1) 92mm rear exhaust upper & 1 lower; (1) 9

smellydoberman
You have absolutely no worries! these are very acceptable temps, probably lower than average.
There does tend to be a bedding in period, this varies according to heat, typically temps will improve by 1 to 2 degrees C.
Burn in is not necessary unless there is a particular reason to do so.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

My buddy will be glad to see the abovee. Thanks a million for your response.

Homebrew P4-3.0P; Intel D865GBF M/B;
512 Crucial DDR400; Sony DVD R/W; (1) Maxtor 160 SATA, WD Raptor 74G SATA, WD Caviar SE 200G, WD 80G EIDE & Maxtor 60G EIDE HDD's in CRU Dataport VI+ pull out drawers; Supermicro SC-750A Full Tower; PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 425 Power Supply; (1) 92mm and (1) 120mm front intake fans; (1) 92mm fan rear exhau

Right now, with minimal CPU utilization, mine is running at 50c, with the side cover off. I think the case is the biggest problem in my situation, but when I'm really pushing it, it runs at around 60c - 64c.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back