Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P166 and USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmpbmp1975

Technical User
Sep 8, 2003
CA
I just picked up a P166 for 50$ canadian, with Win 98 on it, the thing is I aint sure if it has usb, I need usb in order to use my webcam, if there aint no usb is there a convertor or adapter that I can use to convert my usb webcam to serial or parralel

You can buy PCI card with USB ports on it if that system doesn't have USB on board already.

Cheers!

Hi,
I would check the requirements for the webcam before buying - I'm not sure if a P166 is fast enough to run streaming video without dropping lots of frames.
My Logitech QuickCam Pro 3000 needs a minimum 300MHz box with the MMX instruction set and 64Mb RAM to run.

John

A P166 is not likely going to cut it for a webcam. I had to toss a temporary board into a machine once, an AMD k6-2 450, and that board struggled to handle a simple usb mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back