Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oxford English Dictionary Online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairlessupportmonkey

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2009
NZ

If you navigate to their home page, there is no search function obvious unless you sign in.

If you don't care to hand over personal details, and have a current library card, then just tap that in once you hit the sign in button and you have all the features available to you, assuming your library also subscribes to OED - which my little one in Bordon does!

Just thought I would share. :)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Actually, I think there are several such resources which can be accessed via one's library card. I've used the OED before, but some of the others look interesting too, though I don't recall having occasion to use them up until now.

I don't have link set up here, but I'll have a look tonight and post a list of the others.

Tony

OK, so it took me a while, sorry.

For those of you in the UK who do not currently use the resources available for free via your library card, here is what you are missing.

Clipper DL:
"The Clipper DL Download service allows you to download and listen to over 600 audiobooks on your personal computer or portable media player."

Grove Arts Online:
"The most comprehensive online reference resource for all aspects of the visual arts worldwide from prehistory to the present day."

Grove Music Online:
"The world's premier authority on all aspects of music"

Newsbank:
"Search the Times, Guardian, Observer and Sunday Times from January 1998 and the Western Daily Press and the Bristol Evening Post from 1999 onwards."

Oxford Dictionary of National Biography:
"A collection of over 50,000 biographies of men and women who have shaped all aspects of British history, from early times to 2000."

Oxford Reference Online:
"Premium Collection is a vast online reference library available 24/7. It combines in-depth content offered by titles in the acclaimed Oxford Companions series with authoritative, quick-reference coverage of the full subject spectrum."

That is in addition to the OED.

I assume these are equally available via any UK library card, though I can only speak for my own service (South Gloucs).

As I write the following, I struggle to believe it is true... I have not investigated any of the above. Hmmm... Guess what I'm going to be doing this afternoon.

Tony

nice one!

Clipper has a Driod app - happy days! Im flying to Vietnam next month so an audiobook or two would be great.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back